Another Chance

Dream- Prescilla Ahn

The next day, at 6:47, my flight for home took off. All of my things were packed and sent away.

I had cried until my tear ducts were empty.

I hugged both Allison and Jared and gave them endless thank yous for everything they had done for me while I was with them. They sent their best wishes and I promised I'd visit them when I returned to Australia.

Ashton drove me to the airport that afternoon. He kissed me at every stop light, but his eyes glistened. He wore his Batman shirt. He played the Green Day cd we bought at the concert.

When we reached the drop off area, he got out with me and helped me get the carry-on out of the back. After passing the bag to me, he pulled out a small box that revealed several envelopes; he said they would be in order and that I would have specific times to open them.

I cried some more and threw myself into him, hoping that the embrace would last me a lifetime. He kissed my head and wiped a few tears off his cheeks. He pulled back and grabbed my hand.

I stepped onto the curb and held his hand as long as it would stretch. I blinked a couple more tears and he suppressed a sob before turning around and climbing into the car.

Then I wasted time until it was time to board.

The flight was loudly uninteresting and it occurred to me that this was because the last flight I took, I was accompanied by four lovely idiots.

I searched the tv and flipped it to Mean Girls. I thought of Luke. Then I remembered that Ash mentioned that the first envelope I could open on the plane.

I carefully plucked it from the box and read the back. It said Open When: You're On the Plane in his scratchy writing.

Wren,

I cried the whole way home. Just thought you'd know. I wish I was on that plane with you, and I'm sorry I couldn't be. But I miss you already. And please call me when you get home. Just makin sure you're safe ;) I set up my skype, so we can see each other now. And, just so you know, I'll be paying you a visit after tour ends. So prepare yourself now. Alright well, please sleep babe. I know you hate it, but you'll need it. I'll talk to you later, my love. Have a good flight!

Love,

Ash

My eyes were a little wet by the end of reading it. I hadn't registered how much I missed him until then. I folded up the paper and tucked it into my bag. Before I stashed away the box containing the rest of the envelopes, I rifled through them to see when they'd all come into play. Most of them were random events. But it made my heart melt a little more knowing he put the effort into making all of them.

I tucked it away and tolerated the rest of my flight by busying myself with movies and sleep.

And soon enough, I was back in San Francisco.

After picking me up and driving me home, Oliver hugged me and expressed his happiness about my coming home. He filled me in about Mom before having me enter the house.

He said she was a little off, but in a better mood. He had taken a year off school to come back and stay with her, and said he had a job at the local veteranary hospital as an assistant to the nurse. Its been almost a good thing he'd come back I guess; he said he'd gotten a better opportunity for field work for school than anywhere else.

Mom was overjoyed to see me when I walked in and hugged me immediately.

I sort of let go everything I had against her then.

I realized that she wasn't even the same person she was all those years ago. And it was time to give her another chance.

bro its almost over and im so emotional okay bye