Dimples and All

Where Is My Mind- Pixies

I had underestimated the glory that was their house. It was basically the vacation beach home everyone dreamed about; except that they just lived in it full time.

We pulled into the drive just before the garage door and I walked up to the grey front door as Jared led me inside.

The inside was no less gorgeous.

Obviously them being young had significantly improved their sense of style all around. The front door opened to a front room full of modern art and over-flowing book cases. That room turned into a split off between the stairs and the kitchen and dining room, which were full of gigantic windows revealing the spectacular view from the back of the house. On the other side of the stairs was a hallway leading into the family television room which was parallel to Jared and Allison's bedroom.

"So, that's the downstairs portion," said Jared. "I think you'll be able to figure out the upstairs once we get you all settled in up there."

We walked back out to the Jeep to help Allison carry boxes up stairs. It took a couple of trips for each of us, but didn't take long.

I asked for a staple gun and some thumbtacks and if it was alright that I hung some stuff up around my room. It was 4:30, so after presenting me with my requests, they decided to run into town to grab something for dinner.

After putting my sheets on my bed, hanging all my clothes in the closet, and unpacking all of my stuff, I took a minute to really examine the space.

The stairs led up to a landing with a door to a short hallway with a bathroom on one end, and a large bedroom at the other with a book case in-between. My room had a good sized closet along one wall, a bed in the middle of the room against the wall adjacent to the first with a tv hanging opposite of it, and two large glass doors with flowy white curtains introducing the balcony.

The balcony was breathtakingly beautiful.

It stood hovering over the sand below and looks directly into the horizon above the ocean. It wasn't big, but it still had a cozy little couch with pillows and blankets and hanging lanterns.

I decided to hang up a few posters and my decorative lights around the room to add some warmth to the space. I scattered my records and cds around the room and filled up the book case with my books and more music. I left the balcony doors open and let the breeze drift through to a song by Young the Giant.

When Jared and Allison returned home with burgers and milkshakes, I was on the balcony reading. I barely heard the knock at the door in the hallway.

"Come on in!" I shouted over the music. Allison opened the door and walked through the hollow frame to my room. She looked around the room before speaking.

"This looks really awesome, to be honest," she was smiling and I was glad she liked it.

"Thank you." I set my book down inside and started to turn down the music.

"So, we weren't sure what you'd want," she started, opening the take out bag she held. "But we got you a regular burger and a vanilla milkshake."

"That sounds amazing! Thanks."

"Anytime. I'll let you eat up here, get used to things a bit more. If you want anything else to eat later, just check in the cupboards in the kitchen," she said as she walked to the door in the hallway.

"Alright, thanks again." That burger smelled really good actually.

I sat down on my bed with the burger and milkshake and turned on the television. It didn't have cable, but it did have Netflix. That meant I'd be happy.

I turned on Dirty Dancing and checked my phone. One missed message.

Ash: call me when you make it to sydney :)

I turned down the TV and clicked on his contact. He answered right away.

"Wren!" he said into the phone through a smile you could practically hear.

"Hey, Ashton!"

"How was the move today?" he sounded excited about something.

"Pretty good, I guess. The new house is amazing,"

"That's great! So I was wondering... What are you doing on this fine Friday evening?" he still sounded like he was really happy about something and it was sort of contagious.

"Nothing that I'm aware of," I trail off, a smile beginning to spread across my lips.

"Well in that case, would you like to go down to the beach with me for a picnic?" he sounded smaller now, shy almost.

"I don't see why not." The smile was in full bloom at this point.

"Great! Would you mind walking out to your balcony for a quick second?" I stood up and slowly made my way through the open doors to the balcony.

"What? Wh--" I stopped myself when I looked down and saw him there on the sand smiling like an idiot with his phone in his hand.

I ended the call and threw my phone down on the couch. I spun back around and looked over the edge again.

He was still there. Hands in his pockets. Dimples and all.

"Ashton?!" I called down, halfway laughing.

"Come downstairs!" he shouted back. I nodded and ran back into my room. I put on my black bathing suit under a loose white tank top and a pair of shorts. My hair was natural and wavy over my shoulders.

That would work I guess.

I turned off the TV and skipped stairs on my way down to the kitchen to tell Allison and Jared I was leaving.

They both looked at me expectantly when I came into the room in such a hurry. I caught my breath for a second before saying anything.

"Would it be alright if I went down to the beach with a friend tonight?" I asked quickly. My heart was still racing and I'm sure I was blushing.

"Go on, have fun!" Allison waved me off and Jared just smiled as I thanked them and jogged through the front room and out the door.

---one more part for tonight// xX