One

"You've been staring at that girl all morning, why don't you go over and say hi?"

Chris rolled his eyes at his brother as he threw the frisbee back to him, "I don't know what you're talking about." Of course Chris knew what he was talking about. He was talking about the girl with long golden blonde hair laying on a towel in the middle of the beach, reading under an umbrella with AirPods in. Chris could only imagine what color her eyes were as they hid behind large sunglasses. He grunted as he got hit with the frisbee and heard his brother Scott laughing.

"Right, you have no idea what I'm talking about."

He threw the frisbee back as Scott approached him.

"Go say something to her. If you don't, then I will."

Chris groaned, "leave her be Scott. She's reading, she has headphones in. Those are the classic female messages for 'fuck off'."

Scott didn't say anything, only took a few steps back to throw the frisbee at Chris, except he threw it towards the girl instead.

"Oh for fuck's sake." Chris leaped, barely missing the frisbee as it hit the girl's book, making her look up at him. She lowered her sunglasses slightly to display gorgeous hazel eyes, a light amber in the middle surrounded by green as they went out. "I'm sorry."

She huffed, annoyed as she removed a pod, "what?"

He sighed, picking up the frisbee, "I'm really sorry." He pointed to Scott who only waved, "my brother has terrible aim."

"My aim is perfect!"

Chris groaned, hearing Scott yell behind him as he heard the girl giggle, making him smile as he looked back at her. He motioned to the towel next to her and she nodded, sitting up as he sat down. He offered his hand, "I'm Chris."

She sighed, setting her book down as she pulled her knees to her chest. She accepted the hand of the man with big sky blue eyes, "Adrienne. There a reason your brother hit me with the frisbee?"

Chris felt his face redden, "he's a meddler? What are you doing out here in paradise, reading a book?"

She shrugged, "if I'm going to be forced from the room for vitamin D, the least my sister can do is let me bring my book. I prefer to be solitary. What is your brother meddling in?"

He chuckled, "forcing me to talk to a pretty girl. You're here with your sister?"

Adrienne nodded, "last hooray. She's getting married in a month. We're doing a girl's vacation before that happens. I didn't want to come, but as Maid of Honor, it would kind of be a dick move not to show up."

Chris laughed, leaning back on his hands as he watched her survey his bare chest, "that would be a dick move. Why didn't you want to come?"

She shrugged, pushing her glasses back up her nose to hide her eyes so he didn't notice her checking him out, "like I said, I prefer to be solitary." She leaned forward, poking him in the chest, "and what are you doing here? Family vacation?" She looked past him to see his brother still watching them.

Chris watched her wave at Scott, making him laugh, "bro-cation? I guess you could say. Me, my brother, some friends." He pointed up to the resort, "are you staying here at the resort?"

She nodded, "I am. You?"

He stood up, nodding, "I am. I hope to see you some more over the next...? How long are you here?"

She laughed, "we leave next Sunday. So, the next week. You?"

"Same. I'll leave you to reading your book. I do hope you change your mind and decide to come out of your shell a bit though. Later Adrienne."

She smiled, giving a small wave, "later."

Chris walked back to Scott, "you're an ass."

He laughed, "maybe, but you talked to the pretty girl, didn't you?"

He shook his head, hitting Scott in the arm, "not the point."

He smirked, "kind of is the point. She watched you walk away, she's still watching you."

Chris looked back at Adrienne in time to see her look back down at her book, "you don't think she knows who I am, do you?"

He shrugged, "did she seem like she did?"

"No."

***************************************************************************

Adrienne grunted as she felt someone plop down next to her. She look up from her book to see her younger sister, Lucy, looking at her, "well hello to you too."

She smiled, handing her sister a drink, "saw the hot guy you were talking to. Who is he?"

She shrugged, looking up to see him leaving the beach with his brother, "his name is Chris and he's staying at the resort. That's all I know." She rolled her eyes at her sister, "just leave me alone Luce."

She groaned, "come on. You have to put yourself out there. It's obvious he was into you."

"He wouldn't have even talked to me if his brother hadn't made him."

She chuckled, "well you do make yourself as least approachable as you can. Headphones, book, sunglasses. Your entire vibe screams fuck off."

Adrienne nodded, "good. Then it's working."

Lucy sighed, resting her hand on her sister's arm, "when are you going to move on and put yourself out there?"

She pulled her arm away from her as she stood up, shoving her stuff into her bag. "It's only been 6 months Luce."

She scoffed, "you say only as if it's a short amount of time."

"It is!" Adrienne ripped her arm away from Lucy before she could grab it, "would you want me saying the same to you if it was Chase?"

Lucy groaned, "come on Adrienne. I'm sorry."

She shook her head, "it's fine. I'm going back to my room. I'll see you later for dinner."

***************************************************************

Chris walked with Scott in the lobby as he saw Adrienne rush past them, not noticing them. She was obviously upset. Even under glasses you could tell she was crying as she waited for the elevator. He watched her get on the elevator, turning to face him and they locked eyes as she removed her glasses before the doors shut.

"Being on the beach can't be that bad."

Chris rolled his eyes, hitting Scott on the arm, "come on. Let's just go meet up with the guys." He couldn't get the image of Adrienne's red eyes that were welled with tears out of his head.