Twenty

Adrienne sat at the piano, playing and singing with one earbud in.

🎵 They say, "Don't let them in
Close your eyes and clear your thoughts again."
But when I'm all alone
They show up on their own
'Cause inner demons fight their battles with fire
Inner demons don't play the rules
They say, "Just push them down just fight them harder
Why would give up on it so soon?"
So angels, angels please just keep on fighting
Angels don't give up on me today
'Cause the demons the they are there
They just keep biting
Cause inner demons just won't go away
So angels, please, hear my prayer
Life is pain, life's not fair
So angels, please, please stay here
Take the pain, take the fear
They say, "It won't be hard"
But they can't see the battles in my heart
But when I turn away
The demons seem to stay
'Cause inner demons don't play well with angels
They cheat, and lie, and steal, and break, and bruise
Angels please protect me from these rebels
This is a battle I don't want to lose 🎵

She heard someone behind her clear their throat, making her jump as she turned around to see a woman standing there. "Fuck." She put her hand over her mouth, "sorry," making the woman laughed. She stood up, holding out her hand, "you must be Mrs. Evans? I'm sorry. Chris isn't here."

Lisa nodded, "yes. Lisa, please. You must be Adrienne. It's nice to finally meet you. I didn't know you could play. It was really beautiful."

Adrienne blushed, "oh. I used to play all the time. But.." She trailed off before smiling again, "I just haven't played in a while. Chris hasn't heard me play. He went to the store. He should be back soon if you want to wait."

"I'm sorry for just letting myself in. I knocked, but you didn't hear me. I just assumed it was Chris on the piano until I heard you singing. I'm sorry for startling you."

Adrienne shook her head, "it's fine." She looked down at her clothes, "I'm just glad I'm dressed."

Lisa laughed as they heard Chris enter the house.

"Addy?"

"Living room."

Chris entered the living room to find Lisa standing with Adrienne, "I'm sorry. I thought I'd get here before her. I didn't mean to spring my mom on you." He stopped at Lisa, kissing her on the cheek before standing next to Adrienne.

Adrienne shook her head, "it's totally fine. She startled me, but we're good." She looked up at Chris, "we had to meet eventually right?"

Lisa smiled and nodded, "right. Why don't you guys come over for dinner?"

Chris shook his head, "not yet mom. I'm not subjecting her to everyone yet. She just got here. Let me help get her settled into Boston before you guys all pounce on her."

Adrienne laughed, "it's fine Chris. Can't be worse than you meeting my parents."

"No. Not yet. When I get back from my press tour we will."

Lisa sighed, "fine. I left the box of stuff you asked for in the foyer." She looked at Adrienne, pulling her into a hug, "it was nice to meet you."

Adrienne smiled, "you too Lisa." Once she was gone, Adrienne turned to Chris, "I would have been happy to go to dinner."

He nodded, "I know. But maybe I want you to myself for a bit longer before I have to share you with the rest of my family. And I meant what I said, you just got here. How did she startle you?"

"Oh, um." She picked up her earbud, "I had these in." She sighed, "I was playing the piano. I hadn't played since Jake. She walked in while I was playing and I didn't hear her."

He smiled, "you can play?"

She nodded, "I do. But like I said, I haven't played since Jake. I saw it sitting here and felt inspired I guess. Please don't ask me to play for you. I assume you play?"

Chris nodded, "I do. And you can play for me when you're ready. I can play for you later if you want. We should discuss what I'm going to say about the woman on the beach. My team wants me to say something."

She shrugged, sitting on the couch, "do you have to? I'm not sure I'm ready for being under the microscope Chris."

"I know." He sat on the coffee table across from her. "I can say I don't want to comment on it right now. That I want to keep it private. I said I wanted to keep you to myself for a bit longer. That means from my life too."

She nodded, leaning towards him, running her hands up his thighs, "I appreciate you wanting to protect me. And I'd rather keep it private for now too. Thank you. Ryan called right after you left, offering me the job if I want it."

Chris smiled, "and you want it?"

She laughed, "I do." She leaned forward, pulling him to her as her lips found his. She moaned as he climbed onto the couch, pinning her under him. He ran his hand up her leg, bending it at the knee as he positioned himself between her legs. He ran his other hand up under her shirt, lifting it as he moved his lips to her stomach, trialing them upwards.

Chris groaned, pulling away when there was a knock on the door. "Fuck."

Adrienne laughed, sitting up as he did, "later babe. Go get the door." She giggled as he kissed her once more before disappearing from the living room, coming back with an attractive brunette as she stood up from the couch, "you must be Tara. Seems I'm meeting everyone today."

Tara smiled, "that's me." She held her hand out to Adrienne, "I think I found you an apartment." She looked from Chris to Adrienne, "if you guys are ready?"

Adrienne smiled, "we are."