Chapter 17 - Birthday

He didn't trust me. And yet he had promised that he would always be there for me. Empty promises, just like those in the past.

I had told him everything and he had lied to me.

My breathing was becoming irregular and the world was starting to swim in front of me, brief flickers of light shone through the window but everything was still dark. I couldn't make anything out, that was when I realised that I was crying.

I sniffed irritably and ran my hoodie sleeve across my nose. How could I have been so stupid? Alex may care for me, yes, but he would never feel the way I felt about him. There were so many secrets, ever since I met him, and he didn't trust me enough for him to tell me any.

It was meant to be tit-for-tat, was Alex so thick that he didn't get that?

I let out a cry of frustration, and then a few giggles. I was getting mad at my crush because he didn't know how to function in a friendship. Weren't friends supposed to trust each other? I didn't know, how could I know? I didn't have any experience with friendship or crushes, so how was I meant to know how a functional relationship worked?

I wiped the tears away harshly from my cheeks, anger started to bubble in my stomach, not at Alex, at me. How could I have been so stupid to lower my guard just because of a silly crush? I rolled my eyes and let out a pitiful giggle, typical Nathan.

I stood up and moved closer to the small window, the next lesson had already started so no-one was walking around the school grounds. The sky was no longer bright, clouds had rolled over and any hopes of sunshine had vanished.

"The weather can read my mood, I swear," I muttered to myself.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket, the battery had ran down even more. I texted Ace saying, "can u pick me up now? Down the road though, not outside the school." In the morning I decided to text Ace in a style that I had picked up from Alex, damn right lazy, but not anymore. I wouldn't rely on Alex anymore.

I got a response almost immediately, "r u becoming a rebel? Cuz i dont think skl is over yet..."

My mouth curved into a smile, "Not that I know of. Pick me up in 10 mins, I'll be there."

"Kk."

Should I tell Ace what happened? He would surely want a reason to know why I skipped school so early.

I pulled my bag over my shoulder, I would just have to hope that he didn't ask.

Cautiously, I opened the ex-janitors door and scanned the corridor. Nothing. I exited and then walked down the corridor quietly. I reached the set of doors that read, 'Exit to Art & Design Block' and reached out to push the bar to open the doors.

Once outside, I dashed around the school building to the entrance. The gates were still left open and I exited through those. No-one had caught me.

Once the school was out of sight I let out a victory cheer. If I had known skipping school was that easy I would do it a lot more often!

I stood in the middle of the sidewalk and saw a car in the distance. Ace's car.

He pulled up next to me, I pulled the door open and climbed in the back.

"How did you get out so early?" Crap. That was the first question he asked and I wanted it to be the one that he didn't ask.

"I just figured... Why not?" I laughed - fake of course - and plastered a fake smile on my face.

"Oh," that's what he said in a understanding tone, but when I looked into the rearview mirror, his eyes were narrowed. His eyes were angry. I started to squirm but I didn't say anything until he pulled up outside the bakery.