Chapter 23 - Uncover

The rest of the night rushed by me in a blur. I was too busy thinking of what Alex had told me and the way the moment felt. The way his cheeks were slightly red and the way his hand was warm on mine. The way he looked at me made my heart pound as loud as the fireworks.

The feeling was exhilarating. And I wanted more of it.

It was a feeling I had only ever gotten with Alex.

After the moment on the balcony we all went into Alesha's back yard and danced randomly with Fall Out Boy booming through the speakers through an open window. Alex and I did not leave each other's side and I noticed that everyone else seemed to notice but they didn't comment.

Eventually we were all stripped of energy and Jason called taxi's for him, Rai, Maddie and Stacy.

Jack convinced Jason and Alesha that he would walk Alex and I both home, as I was tired yet still feeding off the high energy so I thought the sound of walking home in the dark was exciting and since I had Alex's hand, wherever I went he went with me.

Jack was smart enough to avoid the alley and walk the long way back into town. The roads were practically empty and the streets were dotted with a few hobo's (who Alex gave loose change too) and a couple of business men and woman pulling cases behind them.

The conversation was random, but I noticed that Alex was quiet. Jack was extremely happy and before Alex had to go separate ways, Jack called a taxi for him (Alex responded by saying that he was not a child but Jack replied by saying, "with a cute baby face like that, you ain't fooling nobody!") and Alex eventually clambered in, Jack bent down and congratulated him.

I remember Alex looked slightly pissed off and was also very red in the face.

Jack walked me back to Ace's and before he called a taxi for himself he hugged me and told me he was happy for me.

I was confused but because Jack looked so happy, I didn't want to burst his bubble so I nodded and played along until he climbed into the car and waved goodbye.

When my head hit my pillow I fell fast asleep and didn't wake until 11:30am the next day.

When my eyes had adjusted to the piercing bright light, I stumbled out of bed to the shower, groggy and disorientated.

When I sat down for breakfast - even though it was lunch time - I found a note on the counter.

'Gone out shopping, be back soon, Ace ;P'

I dropped the note back onto the counter after skimming it. Even after I finished my cereal the bad feeling inside of my stomach had not shrunk in the slightest.

I had to tell Ace today that I was moving out to go and live with my dad. I wasn't sure how long I intended to stay there, all I knew was that I needed time to clear my head, time away from Ace and all the bad vibes that came with him.

Alex wanted me to stay away from Ace. Although he hadn't directly said it I knew that was what he meant when he warned me.

I checked my phone as I sat down on my bed, 3 messages. My heart glowed.

One from Stacy:

"Hey, Nate! Thanks for coming yesterday or today? It was around one the time I came home XD I had a really great time and I hope you and Alex did too! We should meet up sometime if you want too? I hope Alex had a great birthday! :)"

One from Jack:

"Great party, your bae seemed to enjoy it and i could tell u did too ;) how are u both? I dont care if ur tired, can we meet up today so you can tell me EVERYTHING? 😈"