Chapter 28 - Puzzle

I had to be dreaming. It was the only option; everything seemed so surreal. All my hunches about Ace had been correct - he was dangerous yet I knew I didn't know the full extent. And the words that had slipped out of Alex's mouth... Those words that had the power to shatter me and rebuild me, were they even aimed at me?

I seemed to be processing everything in slow motion but everything seemed to be happening too quickly. My head was spinning when the taxi finally stopped and I realized that words fell deaf to my ears.

I practically had to force Alex out of the car as all of the fear caught up to me and the unrealistic thoughts slammed into me, causing my hands to fumble awkwardly whilst pushing the taxi door open. Ace, my half-brother, the same sibling I had been brought up with was a dangerous murderer. And now his target was me. But he had to break me first and what one thing did he know that I was attached too? Alex.

Dad couldn't suffice. Ace probably didn't even know that he had started to recover out of his near-coma-like state; Alex was the only person who he deemed I was close enough too for me to be broken. And finding out that I self-harmed would only have added fuel to his fire with him knowing that I was weak and already broken.

But did I truly believe that when Alex obviously didn't believe I was twisted and broken? Was Alex so important to me that I could change my views of myself?

I didn't have time to find an answer as hands grabbed at my arms and I was led in the direction of Alesha's house. Through the gates and up the path, right until the front door which Alesha hurried to unlock.

And then we were inside and yet the safety it offered felt false. Like Ace would be waiting in the kitchen with that knife that had been in his pillow case glinting in his hand.

It was all coming together and yet so many pieces remained missing. I needed to find out more - and quickly. Although I didn't truly know whether finding out the whole truth would mean there would be a possibility to solve anything. I had to try.

I looked to the sleepy boy next to me who seemed to be coming more and more awake with every passing second. I looked down and saw our hands were entwined, I couldn't bear to let go. I couldn't let him run away again.

Alesha hustled us into the living room and shut the door tightly behind us, we were in such a frenzy that we had forgotten to take off our shoes. Alesha didn't comment.

I didn't sit on the couch but instead I led Alex to the couch and he flopped down upon it like it was an instinct. Alesha sat next to him with her arm around Stacy who was shivering violently. Rai kept a firm hand on Maddie's shoulder and didn't budge once - I noticed Jason eye Rai warily; he seemed to notice her perplexed expression and the stiffness of her body. He seemed to want to approach her, maybe to console her to provide comfort for himself.

I snapped myself out of my daze, realizing that I was distracting myself on purpose. I couldn't allow my thoughts to chase me away from the situation at hand.

Jack had dragged a cushy chair for one towards Rai, she gave him a soft 'thank you', and sat on it, pulling Maddie onto her lap. Jason copied Jack's drift and pulled up one for himself, sitting next to Rai.

I stood before them, knowing that I was going to have to explain everything to them. I scanned their faces, they all seemed so terrified even though they were desperately trying not to show it. Jason was fiddling with the hem of his shirt while Rai was gently rocking Maddie who looked as tired as she did shocked, she understood perfectly what was going on.

Alesha consoled Stacy with murmurs but her eyebrows were furrowed and her shoulders shook. Jack was desperately hanging off his seat, his knuckles white from where he was grasping at the material.