Chapter 27 - Ice

I couldn't remember how long I spent outside in the freezing cold, all I could register was unbearable pain. It seemed to be slashing its way through my skin and into my very immune system as I was shivering and my tears felt like icicles forming on my cheeks.

Cold seemed to ebb its way into my very soul and I couldn't hear the door open and footsteps approach me due to The Voice etching into every crevice of my brain.

My nerves were numb to the sensation of someone grabbing me by my arms and pulling me up off of the ground. Warmth enveloped my being but I didn't feel it. In fact it made me feel more disconnected from my body.

And then a hot drink was placed in my hands and my legs gave out and a chair was shoved beneath me. I was shivering and suddenly my senses seemed to work again and as I blinked moisture into my eyes I realised that I was sitting in the office that I had first met Alesha in and then Stacy was sitting in front of me, concern pooling in her eyes.

"Nate?" She asked wearily, "I made you some tea. You were really cold so I just thought...," Stacy trailed off when I didn't make a move to answer.

Tea. The drink that Alex had made for me and insisted I drink it and made a drumroll before I gave my opinion. The same boy who I had just broke in front of me and then ran away from me, leaving me to break myself.

I cupped the mug so that the warmth scalded my skin but I didn't care, at least it proved that I could feel something.

"Nate," Stacy bit her lip worriedly and I would have felt bad for worrying her but at that moment I really didn't care.

"I paid the band and helped clear up without you," Alesha opened the door and peered through it, "how's Nate?" She was addressing Stacy but I knew that she was talking to me.

I couldn't tell them anything. They wouldn't understand. They didn't know anything about me or Alex or our history together, Jack may know more about the situation but he could never really understand what was going on inside my head and how it was revolting against my heart.

No one could understand what was happening inside of me. Except for the one person who seemed to understand everything and had my soul engraved on the back of his hand.

Alex.

"Nathan?" Alesha was using her stern tone but I simply averted my eyes as I felt my heartbeat restart again.

I caught Stacy's eyes and I saw her open her mouth before closing it when she saw the expression on my face, something seemed to make her change her mind because she simply shook her head, "I think you should finish your tea. Or I could make you some hot cocoa? I haven't made any in ages...," she trailed off and I could sense some meaning hidden behind her words but I couldn't figure it out.

"I think I'll just go home," I placed the now-lukewarm tea on the desk and stood up. Alesha moved cautiously out of my way before putting her hand on my shoulder.

"You have my number, right?" Concern pooled in her brown eyes. Alex's sharp blue eyes that seemed to know me so well. "You can call me anytime. Stacy too."

"Yeah," I didn't smile and I slid out of her grip before exiting the door. I saw waiters scuttle out of my way before I reached the main door. I didn't see Stacy run up to me and I barely felt her grab my wrist.

I looked at her with a puzzled mind and took in her disheveled appearance. She seemed flustered and quickly let go of my wrist, her eyes red, before drawing breath.

"I saw what happened outside," her voice was lower, "between you and Alex...," she paused, "it's none of my business, I know, I just want to help - even though you think I'm probably getting in the way, but -," she looked into my eyes, "is it true? With what's going on between you and Alex?"