Chapter 26 - Tears

The rest of the day almost seemed uneventful after what had happened on the previous days. Alex and I hung around the house - I made sure to avoid the TV downstairs - and played video games in his room.

Jack didn't text me until I was on my way home to get ready for the meet up, I was worrying about what I was going to wear and trying to get my mind off the fact that Alex hadn't hugged me goodbye. But I was telling myself how stupid I was, it wasn't like Alex was my boyfriend- I didn't want to continue that train of thought as it would depress me too much.

All Jack said in the text was:

'Ur address?'

I sent a rapid reply and tried not to dwell on it. I subconsciously knew what he was going to do though - and I was not wrong.

I had barely set foot inside my house until the doorbell rang and I had to exhale and trudge into the entryway to open the front door.

My eyes met Jack who seemed to have dyed his already crazy hair an insane set of purples that set his eyes ablaze with a different palette of greens.

"Wow," was all I managed to get out before he breezed past me, slamming the door and dumping the contents of his plastic bag on the table, "nice to see you too," I added, sarcasm etched into my voice.

"Honey, you have half an hour to get ready," he raised an eyebrow at me that I noticed had been tinted a light purple, "do you even own a tie?"

"Yes," I said indignantly and then trailed off when I saw the look of disbelief on his face, "well, I did, but it was my dad's." I had gotten it for the end of the school year party when I was 9 years old, but I had been so nervous I threw up on the way to the party hall - effectively staining the blue tie.

"Hopeless," he muttered to himself but he laughed at my deadpan expression, "okay, now listen," he threw a tie at me, it was red with a gold diagonal stripe pattern, "you're going to be dressed so fine that you will slay everyone - especially Alex - from the moment you enter the door," he threw a pair of jeans at me, they were jet black and were so soft they almost seemed to be made out of leather.

My eyebrows drew together, "I can't wear your jeans! I would totally mess them up! I'm so clumsy that I would probably wipe ketchup on them or something instead of a napkin," obviously I wasn't that clumsy, it was just that his jeans were so nice that I couldn't risk whipping my clammy hands on them the whole evening.

"That is why you will learn some class from me and carry around a kleenex," he scoffed at me before throwing a jacket at me, it was black and soft to touch, "do you have a white shirt? Preferably short sleeved?"

I nodded and he mock mopped his brow, "good, now go get changed and come down here so I can fix it and talk you through my fool proof plan," he let out an evil cackle and sounded very much like a three year old on a sugar high.

I ran upstairs and got changed in the bathroom, I brushed my teeth and washed my face as well, I combed my hair but I could never force it into submission and it remained permanently fluffy and wavy around my head.

I knew that I was going to have to change my socks and shoes so I pulled on some clean black socks and chose my best pair of black shoes which happened to be a pair of goth boots I bought for cheap in the charity store. I had slapped a lot of black polish on them so that the scuffs were hidden out of sight. I pulled them on and before heading down the stairs I peered into dad's room to find him asleep with the curtains drawn shut. I ripped a page out of my school rough book and scribbled a note about meeting up in a restaurant with my friends and I would be back late.

I ran down the stairs and Jack immediately started adjusting the clothes I was wearing. He told me to roll the cuffs of the jacket up so it looked more casual, and he bent down to roll the bottom pant legs of my jeans up and looked up at me and made a very suggestive face. I went red and laughed it off but he teased me for blushing and turning into 'a little strawberry'.