Chapter 20 - Secret

I didn't see Ace until the next morning as I fell asleep with my phone in my hand as I lay on my bed.

When I awoke, sun was pouring through my open curtains and as I sat up my head began to spin. I groaned when I realised I had gotten up too quickly.

I got changed out of my worn clothes into clean ones, I combed my hair rather half-heartedly and I cursed when I saw my phone was out of charge. After I plugged my phone into its charger I walked out of the door and walked to the kitchen.

My eyes met the sight of Ace pouring some cereal into a bowl, as I came in he looked up at me and smiled, "hey there, Mr Grumpy-Pants, did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed again today?"

I glared at him while I grabbed a bowl from a cupboard and poured some cereal into it, "I don't know what you mean," I grabbed the milk off him and poured it into my cereal.

He chuckled and I shot him a furious stare, "what is it?"

"Are you planning to eat with your hands?"

I groaned and got off my stool to get a spoon. After picking a spoon, I sat down on my stool again and watched the cereal pour onto the spoon.

"I'm sure the milk in your cereal is sour now," Ace continued to laugh at me while eating his own cereal.

"Yeah, well, at least I'm not ugly!" I shot back. Knowing it was a failed attempt of an insult I continued to eat my cereal.

"So, I'm taking you had a fight with your boyfriend. Or your girlfriend. Which one was it?"

I watched the remaining milk in my bowl swirl and distort my reflection, "Neither, because I don't have a girlfriend or a boyfriend," I stuck my tongue out at him and lifted my bowl up to put in the sink.

There was an odd silence before Ace stood up with his bowl, "so, you want a lift to school?"

I didn't have an excuse and my sleepy mind was slow, "yeah, sure. Let me get ready first."

I walked back into my bedroom and lifted my bag from the floor, I filled it with my school books and put my half-charged phone into a bag.

I was surprised to see two new messages. But none from the person who I had waited to hear from all night.

"So I'll meet u at The Espresso at 3:50? Cant wait 2 see ur man meat! Just kidding, i can see ur face going red already XD." I didn't reply, Jack was just teasing me and if I texted back he would know for sure that he had pulled a reaction out of me. And with the new thoughts whirling around in my mind, I didn't need someone else putting thoughts in my head that Alex may like me too. As doubtful as that was

The other text message was from Stacy, "hey, Nathan! Sorry for dashing out like that! Sorry for leaving you with Jack! Jack's wonderful and all and I love him, but he can tease a lot at times, also he sounds like he likes you. Not that that's a bad thing! It's just when Jack finds new 'man meat' he can sometimes come on to you and it's unexpected! I remember when he first did that to Jason, anyway, I'm glad you got on with my friends and they really seemed to like you! I'll see you at school tomorrow and thank you for today! Is it okay with you if we meet up again sometimes? Just you and me? You don't have too if you're too busy! I'll see you! :)"

I text back because I doubted I would get to talk to her in school, "No problem! Jack was fine, though I do know what you mean XD we're meeting up today with Alex after school. Your friends were awesome, I can't wait to meet up with them again. I enjoyed meeting up with you, I'll tell you when I'm free :)"

After I sent the text, I put my phone in my hoodie pocket and swung my bag over my shoulder. I walked to the front door and put my shoes on.

"Ace? I'm ready to go!"