Chapter 24 - Lips

The mattress was warm, was the first thought that registered in my mind. I used my hands to trace the spare space of the mattress that I wasn't laying on. All of the mattress was warm.

Which meant that either I had moved around a lot before I woke up or someone had slept next to me.

My heartbeat rapidly increased causing blood to rush to my head, I sat up rather quickly and my head span.

There was a soft knock on the door and the door handle was pulled down. The door swung open and with a beating heart my eyes met Alex's. He was dressed in slacks and a loose short-sleeved top.

I realised I was wearing yesterdays clothes, including my socks. I wrinkled my nose and wondered how the hell I'd managed to sleep the whole night through wearing socks.

"Good morning," he said with a yawn, his hair was slightly messy but my heart glowed as I felt like I was one step closer to knowing the real Alex. Yesterday was a giant leap into Alex's world. I pondered why a simple thing like Alex's natural hair could make me so happy.

"What's up?" He asked, I gave him a confused look and he gestured to my face, "face's all red," he yawned again and I heard his jaw click. He gave a little yelp in pain and then laughed.

I laughed with him but his comment only made my face redder. My heart soared and my pulse skipped whilst my face flooded with fire.

"I just got up too quickly," I answered after fishing around in my head for a decent excuse, I was always slower in the mornings and it seemed like Alex was too. The whole thing with his dad last time must have been a energy bar.

He nodded and then sat on his computer chair, twisting it so it faced me. I couldn't help but notice that he didn't sit on the bed next to me. My heart plummeted a little while I yelled at myself for looking to much into it.

I also yelled at myself for having hope that he might be interested as well.

What did I want with Alex? A relationship? To touch him? To hug him? Kisses? Sex? My face flushed at the thought, maybe not quite yet, though I admitted that the thought didn't seem unappealing.

Maybe I just wanted to be loved. Maybe my problems of the past were catching up to me. Maybe my neglect from the past was affecting my future, I was fairly certain I needed to talk to someone about that. A therapist, not Alex. I needed an experts advice, embarrassing as it may be, but I couldn't burden Alex with all my old family problems - even though it seemed they were all present in my present and future.

I didn't want to be broken and end up with Alex and then break him as well. It would be better to keep my feelings to myself until I could tell someone about it.

Alex was smiling at me and my heart swelled. No, I couldn't break that smile.

Alex said that he went to a therapist. But I couldn't ask him, it would seem too suspicious. But it seemed that the therapist had worked, if Alex was fixed, then I could be too.

This thought raised my hopes and I returned his smile, "did I pass out on you? Sorry about that, especially if I drooled on you."

He laughed, "you should be sorry. I had to disinfect my sweater thanks to you and your mucus."

I scrunched my nose up, "ew, you kiss your mumsie with that mouth?"

"The very same," he blew a kiss at me and I laughed and threw a pillow at him.

"Ew, you drooled on this too, you, you, you mucus monster!" He tossed the pillow back to me and I grabbed it, scowling but the effect was ruined when a grin appeared on my face.