Chapter 10 - Oblivous

It was exactly 3:00 when we pulled up outside The Gladiator, the restaurant was known for its massive burger dishes and burger challenges, on the sign an angry looking chef was glaring down at us, for some reason this didn't seem to scare people away, in fact it seemed to attract more people.

Ace opened the car door for me, I wasn't aware that I was still inside the car until the cold air hit me.

"Ouch, that's cold." I whined, stepping out of the car.

He raised an eyebrow. "Ouch? Can the wind bitch slap you?"

"If it wants too." I replied my eyes frantically searching the car park for any sign of the brown haired boy.

"Relax! It's not like he's going to be waiting here for us! He doesn't even know if we came in a car!"

I laughed nervously, feeling vulnerable because he somehow knew just what I was thinking.

"Come on, Nate. Let's go inside before the wind bitch slaps you again." He laughed at me and ruffled my hair, I pretended to bite his hand with an angry expression while he continued to laugh.

When we got inside The Gladiator it was already busy, couples were seated and sharing cheesy love drinks, while families were enjoying their Gladiator burgers.

I spotted a table with 3 comfortable looking chairs surrounding it, so I sat down in the nearest one to me, Ace sat down next to me, taking his coat and draping it over the chair.

I checked my phone: "3:09" the clock read. I bit my lip and then sighed, what was I hoping for? Alex to be waiting outside for me to hand me a bouquet of flowers?

I sighed out loud, I was nervous and I had no idea why. I was meeting one of my closest friends for lunch, with my long lost brother who I thought abandoned me but it turns out I'm going to be living with him and moving my dad into a care home.

See? Absolutely nothing to be worried about! I buried my face in my hands and mentally screamed, what was I talking about? There were so many things that could go wrong!

"Hey, Nate!" A loud voice rang, it was like music to my ears, like a choir singing gospel music. I leapt out of my chair, my heart beating louder than it was before, my face felt like it was on fire and I was pretty sure I was burning up inside.

A hand tugged at my hoodie sleeve, pulling me down. "Sit down." Ace said in a monotone voice, steely cool, complete opposite of what I was, which was molten lava. "You look so keen, it's just your boyfriend, I'm pretty sure you've gone on plenty of dates."

My face turned into an active volcano. "Shut up." I mumbled.

Suddenly, Alex was in front of me, his face was brightly lit by his smile and his cheeks looked so soft and warm like I could just cup them in my hands to lean forward and- Wait, wait... Hold up. No more thoughts, just say hi. Act normal, you are Nate, you are normal.

"Um... Hey, Alex." Wow, Nate, you're so cool, completely, I'm not being sarcastic. Eugh just shut up and introduce each other. "So, um... Ace, this is my friend Alex, and Alex, this is Ace, my brother, well, half-brother." I paused to look at Alex's reaction, his eyes were clouded with confusion and something else I couldn't put my finger on.

"It's, uh, it's complicated..." I said at last, hoping that nervousness would eat me up.

Alex chuckled slightly and held out his hand, "Hi! I'm Alex, Nathans friend from school! I'm glad I've finally got to meet you, its nice meeting Nate's family!"

Ace stood up and smiled back politely, but there was something wrong, the atmosphere felt wrong, it made me uncomfortable and I couldn't work out why, but I decided to shrug it off for now.