Chapter 9 - Past

I woke up in my room, the curtains were open and sunlight flooded in. I blinked trying to identify where I was, my gaze lingered on the backpack thrown onto the floor and recognised it as mine.

How had I ended up in my room?

I tried to jog my foggy memory but knew it was useless, I dragged my heavy body off the bed to try to wake myself up. I stood up and rubbed sleep from my eyes.

I was in the same clothes as I had been in yesterday so I dug some clothes out of my closet, most of them were dirty and had been thrown in, so I picked the dirty clothes out, got some new ones and walked lazily to the bathroom.

After I got changed, I was still trying to figure out how I got from downstairs and up to my bed when a memory flashed in my mind.

I had fallen asleep on the couch again after watching a movie with my family, I remember dad taking me upstairs yesterday, I wonder if he was going to do it today too.

I smiled in my "sleep" as I was thinking about it.

"Awww, looks like little Nate is having a good dream."

I was 7 years old when I always fell asleep like this, it protected me from the fights mum and dad had and it comforted me when I fell asleep in my brothers arms.

"What time is it, mum?"

"It's almost nine, dear."

"I'll take him to bed then."

"But Ace, he might be a bit too heavy for you."

"Mum, I'm 12 years old, I'm stronger than I look."

My smile widened, my big brother was going to take me to bed! My heart was beating with excitement. I just hoped he didn't drop me.

I felt strong arms grip me tightly and lift me up from the couch, I felt his hand wove into my hair and I felt him walking up the stairs.

He opened my bedroom door with his leg and I heard it bang against the wall.

"Uh-oh."

The smile returned.

He carefully lowered me down onto my bed and pulled the covers over me, he was still playing with my hair, it comforted me, and I felt like sleep was luring me.

"I know you're awake."

My smile returned, and he tugged at my cheek. "See? Either you're awake or you're having a very, very happy dream about fairies."

My eyes snapped open. "I don't dream about fairies!"

He was crouched down on his feet with his hand between his legs, "oh? Then what do you dream about?"

I closed my eyes. "I don't know, sometimes I forget..."

"Dream about me, yeah?"

"What?" I peered sleepily at him through my eyelids.

He was looking at the door.

"Just try it, so you don't forget me."

"Why would I forget you? You're my brother!"

He looked back at me, he was smiling but it made my heart shatter, his smile was sad.

"Just try."

He stood up and walked to the door, he turned around to face me.

"Good night, Nate."