Chapter 15 - Outburst

The walk back to Alex's house was painfully fast, we were running to get out of the storm but no matter how fast I ran and no matter how many times I overtook Alex, I couldn't escape the storm inside my head. What was the matter with Ace? Who was the man who visited him? Why was he lying to me? Why did he make me feel insecure? And what were my many conflicted feelings about Alex? And, why now?

When we stood outside his door he turned his head to me and gave me a nervous smile. I couldn't smile back.

He lifted his hand and knocked on the door. A few seconds later, the door opened.

His mother wore a formal business suit with a face to go with it, however when she saw Alex her face lit up and her tight lips eased into a warming smile.

"Alex! Welcome home!" She turned to me, her smile still intact, then she ran her eyes over me and her expression changed drastically, "It's pouring buckets, you silly boys, get in here!" She grabbed both our wrists and dragged us into the house. I winced, this woman had a tight grip and her fingers were pushing down on my scars.

Thankfully, she let go as soon as she shut the door behind us.

"Take your shoes off, I'll go and get some towels for both of you," She hurried off. Alex turned to me, he looked pale.

"Listen, we have to tell them that this whole thing is a misunderstanding."

I shrugged, watching a raindrop gather and fall from the tip of a strand of hair, "If you want, I don't see the big deal though."

Alex didn't reply and I didn't see his reaction.

His mother reappeared clutching thick, white towels. She thrust one at me, "Here you go, darling, it'll keep you nice and cosy."

Hesitantly, I took it from her, "Thank you," I mumbled.

She smiled and gave one to Alex, "Eric! Get down here now! Alex is home and he's brought someone with him!"

Alex's dad came bounding down the stairs, he too was in a suit, he stood next to Alex's mother.

"Well, Alex, are you going to introduce us?" His mother asked him with a glint in her eye.

"Um," Alex looked down, "There's been a misunderstanding-"

"Ah, I've met you before haven't I?" Alex's father asked, pointing at me, "Ah, yes! You're Alex's boyfriend aren't you?"

"Eric! Don't make him uncomfortable! Alex was going to introduce us!"

"But Alex had him over for a sleepover..." His face drooped, he turned to Alex, "And we haven't finished our conversation from the other day, Alex."

Alex's face darkened. "Shut up!" I blinked, shocked. "We are not in a relationship! Just because of what happened before, does not mean it's who I am! Stop assuming things and thinking that you know me, when you don't even have time for me!" Alex dropped his towel and ran upstairs.

The atmosphere grew tension. I stood, shocked. I had never seen Alex lash out like that, the only time I had seen him look so serious was when I had showed him my scars. It wasn't in Alex's character to be angry at people, especially his own parents. Obviously, there were many things I had yet to learn about Alex, like what happened 'before'.

"Oh dear..." Alex's mother whispered.

Alex's father was shaking, "What is he talking about? Does he think that we don't care about him?..." His voice was filled with so much emotion that I couldn't bear to listen anymore.

"I think this situation has gotten out of control," I muttered, I was quiet but I knew they had heard it, "I'll go and talk to him and see if I can get him to come down..." No-one said anything so I assumed that I had permission, I picked up his towel and climbed up the stairs.