Chapter 7 - Memory

I woke up cold. I rubbed my eyes sleepily, sunlight casting through the space in the curtains. My eyelids were still heavy, I wanted to go back to sleep, with Alex warming me up.

Warmth rushed to my head, reddening my face. I looked around the room. Where was Alex?

I heard yelling downstairs, I struggled to place the voice, and then it struck me. Alex and his dad.

I opened the door and silently made my way to the staircase, and paused at the top.

"-anyway I told you a million times, nothing happened! Why don't you believe me? You saw yourself, I was dressed and he was dressed! I must have been cold in the night, that's why!"

"Maybe, or maybe not! I knew it was a bad idea, escpecially since your last school, you have to understand Alex, and I'm not being a bitch because I want to, it's because I'm your father, and I'm worried!"

"I understand that, but since your my father, learn to trust me a little more! I'm leaving now, I'm going back to my room!"

"Alex? Wait up a bit-"

SLAM!

I winced.

Alex stood at the bottom of the stairs, his eyebrow furrowed, he looked really angry.

He raised his eyes to me, they widened.

"Wha-what are you doing here? I thought you were asleep!" His expression grew frantic, he started to climb the stairs.

"I was... But then I woke up." I stated.

He attempted a smile.

"Um... If you don't mind me asking, are you ok?"

He hesitated, then he grabbed my wrist and pulled me into his room.

"I'm fine... It's just dad, being a dick."

"What happened?" I asked, flopping back onto his bed.

Alex looked uncomfortable, he looked away from me and rubbed the back of his neck. "Well, this morning, he walked in on you and me... Yeah, he got the wrong idea, and he started to freak out, but I told him nothing happened."

I blinked. "He just assumed?" I shook my head and sighed, "had he ever thought that you were my human radiator?"

He laughed, "I don't think he understands the art of the joke."

I laughed, then sat up.

I looked down at my hands. "Hey... Thanks for having me over, and cooking for me, and laughing at my failed attempts at gaming and... Accepting... Me..."

I glanced up through my hair, I couldn't see his expression, he was hiding through his hair, before I had time to panic he cleared his throat and smiled.

"It was no problem. Th-thank you for telling me, well, you know."

I nodded, smiling even though I felt like crying. Silence dawned on us.

"Well, I'm gonna get dressed now, I'll get changed in the bathroom, right?"

He nodded, I grabbed my hoodie and jeans and walked quickly to the bathroom.

After I had finished, I knocked on his door and opened it, he was lying on his bed, a book over his face.

I smiled and grabbed my bag.

"Are you breathing?" I asked, lightly kicking his leg.

"Just about." He answered, picking the book off his face. "Dad's gone out now, it's just us again."

"I would like to stay, but my dad texted, so, I gotta head home, thanks for having me... It's been really... Fun."

Alex blinked, then he turned away his face was hidden by his hair. "Yeah, it was. We should... Do this again sometimes-" he interupted himself quickly, "that is, if you want too!"

I smiled and nodded. "Of course I do! I'll see myself out, see you in school!"

I walked out of his room and down the stairs, a hand caught my wrist as soon as I was about to open the front door.

"C-can I have your number?" I turned around to see Alex glancing the other way while holding a phone out to me.

"Um... Sure." I agreed, taking his phone and typing my number in on the contacts section, I gave him my phone he did the same for himself. I gave him his phone back.

We stood there in silence for a while, looking around the entrance.

"So..." I said awkwardly.

He looked at me and then looked at the floor. "You wanna good bye hug?"

His hands wove around my waist before I could answer, I could feel his breath on my neck, his body so close to mine.

The warmth returned, flooding around me, leaving me breathless. My arms returned the embrace, he pulled me closer.

We stood there for a long time, just feeling the warmth. His hands were playing with my hair, it felt nice and relaxing, I felt like I could sleep forever with him holding me.

Warmth rushed to my cheeks, and I pushed him away, panting a little.

I looked away from his face.

"Do... Do friends... Do this sort of thing?" I asked nervously.

No answer. Just the sound of heartbeat.

"Only because... I don't have a lot of experience..."

"Well, o-only good friends do that sort of thing, it's an act of trust and friendship, so... You should only do it with me."

"Oh." I replied, still not looking at him.

I turned around, and opened the front door, stepping out into the sunlight.

"Thank you, Alex." I said with my back to him.

"It's fine, really!"

I turned to smile at him, he smiled back. I made my way back to my house, through the buildings and the town, I had to see what dad wanted. It had better be worth it.

I put my key in the lock and twisted it, the door opened. I entered and took my shoes off and put them on the rack.

I made my way upstairs.

"I'm home da-" my voice faded away, as my eyes grew accustomed to what was in front of me.

"Nathan.." He threw his arms out.

"N-no..." I stuttered, stepping backwards.

"Don't run, Nathan... Please, don't run..."

Tears started to form in my eyes.

"I'm here, Nathan... It's ok, I promise... I won't leave you again..."

I ran to him and buried myself in his arms. His arms tightly caressed me.

"A-Ace!" I cried.

"Sh... Sh. It's ok, Nathan... I'm here."

Tears were pouring from my eyes, I was yelling coarsely.

"You bastard... I thought you were gone... I-I... Had nothing without you, Ace!"

He clutched me tighter.

"I have missed you... So much." He muttered into my ear.

We crumpled to the floor.

"Ace, I-where were you? I-I..."

"Sh... Nathan... Sh."

He grasped me by my shoulders, my eyes reaching his.

"It's ok, Nate... It will all be fine. I'm here, I'm back, I'm your brother, Nathan, and it's all ganna be fine."

I collapsed into his arms, now brightly lit world, fading to black.

...

Thank you all so much for voting and commenting! I hope you enjoy this chapter!!