Chapter 8 - Found

I sat on the couch, he sat on the one opposite me. I felt tired and weary, not sure whether or not to believe the site in front of me. He sat with his legs open and his hands in between. My head collapsed into my hands.

“I’m not sure if this is real or not...” I groaned.

He laughed, his deep voice filling my ears. “Neither am I, if I am dreaming I don’t want to ever wake up.”

“You shouldn’t say that, wouldn’t want to be stuck here, would you?” I snapped at him, my head shooting up and my eyes staring into his.

He looked surprised for a split second, but then he recovered and ran a hand through his hair. “Nathan... I’m so, so sorry... You have to believe me, I didn’t have a choice, after your mum... died... my uncle was useless, I couldn’t stay here anymore, I felt so bad, no, I still do feel so bad, I would have taken you with me, if I could have, but I couldn’t-“

“Where did you go?” I cut across him with a voice made of ice.

His hand dropped from his head. “I joined the army for a short time, but I soon realized it wasn’t for me, so I moved back and I worked in a few stores and now... I own my own bakery.”

I raised an eyebrow. “The army, to a bakery?”

He laughed. “I know, not very masculine, but, Nathan I came back... For you.”

I looked down. “W-why now?”

“What?”

“Why did you come back now?”

“Isn’t it obvious?” I shook my head.

“Nathan, look at me.” I slowly cast my glance through my fringe and into his eyes.

He looked so sincere, and I’m sure he was close to crying.

“I want you to move out of here and live with me.”

He said it so simply, as if it was that simple. A thousand things slammed into my head, but I couldn’t process any of them.

“Why do you want me to live with you? I thought you left because you hated us...”

“I left because I couldn’t be stuck here, I wanted to take you with me Nathan, and now I have the chance, I want you to live your own life, not stay here caring for your dad.”

A thousand things turned into a thousand emotions and they started sliding down my cheeks.

“Nathan, don’t cry, come here!” He held his arms open, I went onto his lap, my arms slung around him, my tears colliding with the fabric on his hoodie. His arms went around the small of my waist.

“Nathan...” He said into my hair.

“Ace, I-I’m sorry, your hoodie is soaked.” I sobbed weakly.

He laughed. “So, do you have an answer?”

I pulled away and looked into his eyes. His eyes were the darkest shade of blue, they were twinkling as if they were about to drop tears. He wiped away my tears, I managed a smile.

“I think I would like to, but who lives with you? Where do you live? Who will look after dad-?”

I was cut off with his finger to my mouth.

“Whoa there, slow down! I will find somewhere dad can go, I live on the edge of town near my shop and no-one lives with me, and I’m a free man.”

“A free woman, you mean.” I said sarcastically, sliding off his lap and onto the space next to him.

 He lightly punched my shoulder.