Chapter 30 - Destroy

The first thing I felt after arriving at Alesha's was an iron pipe crushing my ribs. After recovering from the sudden restriction of air, I realized that the 'iron pipe' was actually Maddie's arms.

"Sorry, Nate. But you should be used to it by now," Rai smiled at me and I relished in her warmth as I had rarely seen her let her gothic stoicalness go. She pulled me into a one-armed hug and then grabbed Alex with her other arm after he had climbed out of the taxi - to which he made a startled noise and appeared to be as shocked as I was that Rai was the one to be initiating contact.

Maddie detached herself from me and immediately wrapped herself around Stacy's waist as the taxi drove off. Stacy smiled in return but her gaze was unfocused, as if she were somewhere else and re-enacting a dream.

"Just because the police assume that Ace and co. are no longer here doesn't mean this is the best place for a reunion," Alesha pointed out, appearing from behind Jason. Rai pulled away fairly quickly and relocated herself next to Jack who was still in his pyjama's and what seemed to be a pair of crocs.

"Is your dad alright?" Jason asked me. All I could do was mutely nod in response; nothing I said was going to change the outcome. Ace was going to die and that was it.

For the sake of those who I loved I would end this for them. Ace had inflicted his damage onto their lives as well as mine and he needed to be stopped.

"Angry Alesha's right," Jack asserted. "We'll tell you everything inside. Please, it's cold and I'm wearing crocs." He turned and started walking back inside whilst Alesha slinked to the back and embraced Stacy.

Maddie seemed to delicately place herself next to Rai, as if she were frightened to break the silence with footsteps. The quiet was a burden and it lay heavy on my shoulders.

Jason and Rai seemed to collide naturally together and her pale hand slipped neatly into his tanned one, they seemed to be content on being gentle yet holding onto each other until they were both on the verge of breaking.

Alex and I hadn't spoken since our exchange this morning. He was silent when he sat next to me at the kitchen table, his chair seemed to be placed away from me and I had wanted to grasp at the wooden seat and drag him closer towards me, letting the sharp tendrils of bark pierce into my skin.

But I couldn't because he wasn't mine and he seemed to be reinforcing that fact.

I had tried to tell myself that I was imagining it but the same silence had wrapped us up and made us deaf to each other. On the car ride here, it felt as if the inches that separated us were mocking me and the determined pace he was marching at was keen to remind me that something wasn't right.

Some silences you can explain, be it a mutual silence where two or more find company together in doing something without the other in a quiet harmony. But this silence was completely different and I had tried to convince myself that I was simply imagining things - but as of recently, I had been learning to trust my senses as it was a stepping stone to learn to trust myself.

But the silence was too stagnant to be imagined and I had had enough of complications and over-analysis'. I was done playing mind games - or games of even kind. And for the first time I felt as if Alex and I were not just on completely different pages, but on completely different novels of a completely different series. Our words no longer entwined together because no words had been spoken.

Alex had flinched away from me that morning on several occasions and seeing two people come together so naturally in front of me made me realize that something was wrong with this whole situation.

But I was not finished with making mistakes back then. I still had a lot to learn about trusting myself. And who I should trust ultimately, in the end.