Chapter 16 - Running

After that thought spun through my mind, I almost laughed at my stupidity. Of course that thought was ridiculous. How the hell could someone like Alex like someone as hopeless as me? That would never make sense.

So in that moment I realised that I had used my own feelings and pushed it onto him, which made me realise that I didn't quite see Alex as just a friend.

I felt heat rise to my face and I prised myself out of his arms.

"Nate?" I heard the hurt in his voice and I felt guilt pool into my stomach, I turned away.

"We better go back into the living room, your parents must be getting impatient." Hesitantly, I cast my eyes back to his face and registered the flash of something across his face. Fear. Why was he afraid?

And then it was gone and he replaced it with a smile. A fake smile. "Oh, sure, sure. Let's go in, then."

I started to turn towards the door but he spoke up, "Nate?"

I couldn't face him, "Hm?"

He began his sentence with an: "I..." But then he let out a sigh and simply said, "thank you for telling me."

I pulled open the door and mumbled, "It's alright..."

When we entered the living room I was doing everything I could to stop my mind from tearing itself down.

I liked Alex.

I couldn't keep myself from shaking and I knew that I would have to leave as soon as I had the chance.

"We're back again..."

Alex's mother smiled a knowing smile, "ah, we were wondering where you both had got to." She ran her gaze over both of us and my stomach jumped in fear. She couldn't have realised that I had feelings for her son could she?

I reassured myself that I was being ridiculous. There was no way she could have known. I had just realised myself after all.

I gave a shaky smile and sat down on the couch, I moved as far away as I possibly could from Alex without making it obvious.

"So, Nate. How's school for you?" His mother asked.

"Um," I tried to keep the panic from my voice. She still had that same smile on her face.

"How are your grades? You're getting closer to finals aren't you?"

"Well-"

Alex's father cut her off, "who do you live with? Do you have any siblings?"

"I-I have a half-brother-"

"Do you have a job?"

"What are your goals for the future?"

They were both talking over each other, I couldn't answer their questions. I couldn't even think why they were asking me those questions.

"Would you both shut up?" Alex's voice was loud and clear and his parents fell silent, "why are you asking such weird questions?" There was something in his voice. It was a hidden warning. His parents back down and exchanged glances.

What was everyone being so secretive about? They couldn't have known about my feelings for Alex, could they?

I cast my eyes over to the clock hanging on the wall, it was half past 4.

I stood up, "Thank you for having me over today, it was nice to meet you both but I have to get back home now." I refused to break down in front of these people, I had to wear a mask, the mask that I had created and wore for years, the mask that no-one saw through apart from Alex.