Chapter 4 - Bleeding

Waking up the next day came as a shock to me. I looked to my wrist, I had woven the sheets around it, to stop the bleeding. It had worked... Sort of.

I sighed, then looked to my clock: "8:45"

"Ah, shit!" I yelled. I had 25 minutes to get to school, I didn't know why I felt I had to go, I just felt like something was pulling me.

I rummaged through my bottom drawer, until I found the bandages, then I tied it around my wrist and fastened a small knot, it covered the skin, and made it look like I was wearing a wristband. I pressed down gently, pain throbbed throughout my skin. I chucked some more bandages into my bag for good measure.

I was still wearing my clothes from yesterday, but I didn't have time to change clothes. I ran a hand through my hair, threw on a different hoodie and shoes, then ran down stairs, grabbing an apple from the bowl that was surrounded by brown bananas.

It was a 20 minute walk from here to the school, so I was going to be late anyway. Halfway there I was wondering why I had bothered going to school in the first place.

I entered the school building, people were talking loudly and shoving each other to get to their lockers or classes, I blurred into the crowd, until I was nothing, a nobody.

"Heyo!"

I screeched in shock that I had been sighted amongst what seemed millions of others and turned around, a grinning Alex greeted me.

"Never do that again! You scared the shit out of me!"

He laughed. "I'm sorry. You weren't in registration so I thought you weren't here today, so I was happy when I saw you."

He looked so earnest when he said that that I blushed and turned the other way.

"Come on, let's get to class." I mumbled.

"Sure thing, Captain! What's the lesson?"

I barged through a crowd of people, Alex trotting behind me.

His finger poked me in the ribs.

"Ow!" I winced, slapping his hand away. "That hurt! I have soft ribs!"

"Sooorry!! My bad!"

"Yes, it was your bad." I stuck my tongue out at him.

I opened the door and entered the room, I walked to my usual seat, and Alex sat down next to me.

"Am I allowed to sit here?"

I sniffed. "Probably. No-one really sits there anyway, unless they have to."

He just nodded in response and I nodded back, not sure what else to say.

More people entered the classroom and eventually the lesson started but I wasn't paying attention, I was thinking back to the scars, and what had caused me to do that to myself in the first place.

Then I remembered.

I shot a glance at Alex, his head was down, his eyes skimming his work, he caught my eye and smiled at me, I looked away.

What did he mean he would never leave my side? I didn't understand. Maybe I should have asked him? No, that would never have worked. Why did he hug me? And touch my hair? Maybe he was just a very huggy kind of guy, it was the only plausible explanation I could come up with.

"Miss! I don't understand, please could you explain that again?" Alex spoke up suddenly - almost knocking me out with a hand he shot up with inhuman speed.

A shriek formed below from a small group of girls.

"OMG! He is uber cute!"

"I wanna hug him!"