Chapter 7: Avox

Clove’s p.o.v

Today was the first day of training. Cato and I were woken up by Caitlyn and we had to dress in training clothes. I joined Cato at breakfast. Enobaria didn’t wanted us to sit next to each other so I sat next to her and Caitlyn.

After breakfast, Cato and I went down to the training centre. When we were in the elevator, I started talking. ‘’What’s your first impression of the District 1 tributes?’’ I asked Cato. ‘’I’m not totally sure. The boy seemed nice, friendly, but also a murderer.’’  I nod. ‘’The girl on the other side,’’ He continued. ‘’she seems more like a brutal person. She knew what she was doing. And she knows how to play the game.’’ I let out a sigh of judgement. ‘’Same.’’  I said. We walked through the doors of the training centre. It was, like we already saw, huge. There was some sort of bridge, with a rope on top of it. I guess the bridge could tilt or something. I also saw a bow, knives, swords, spears and much more. The dolls to throw at were already ready. I saw a part to tie knots and to learn how to create a fire.

A boy and a girl were already there. The girl wasn’t older than 13. She had a dark coloured skin. I almost felt sorry for her. Almost. If I wanted to win the games, even she would have to die.

The tributes from District 1 came in. ‘’And you must be Cato and Clove.’’  The male tribute said. ‘’That’s correct!’’ Cato said. ‘’I’m Marvel, and this is my District partner….’’ The girl cut him off to say her name by herself  ‘’Glimmer.’’

Cato’s p.o.v.

I didn’t like what Glimmer just did. I think it was disrespectful. I was pretty sure Clove thought the same about it. ‘’Well nice to meet you Marvel and Glimmer.’’ I said after a little while. ‘’What if we showed you our skills and you showed us your skills?’’ Clove asked. ‘’Good idea!’’ I said. Marvel nodded and Glimmer placed her hands on her hips. ‘’Should I go first?’’ Glimmer asked. ‘’Sure!’’ I said. Glimmer took my arm and pulled me over to the bow and arrow area. I saw Clove’s eyes fill with anger and jealousy. JEALOUSY????? Clove??? No, that wasn’t possible.  Or was it? I gave her the I-don’t-know-just-relax look and raised my shoulders. She walked behind Marvel who started talking to her. Glimmer finally released my arm and walked over to a bow. When Clove and Marvel arrived, she took an arrow. She shoot the arrow a little under the bulls eye. I looked at Clove. I didn’t spoke. But she knew exactly what I meant. ‘See’.

Then we went to spears, Marvels part. He did threw the spear a bit above the bulls eye. ‘’Not too bad.’’ I laughed. Luckily, Marvel laughed about it. Thank god! He got the joke! ‘’You or me?’’ I asked Clove. ‘’You can go first, then they’ll remember me even more.’’ She laughed. ‘’Alright.’’ The sword part was next to the spears. I took a sword. When I felt, the blade wasn’t in balance with the lug, I laid it back. I took another one. I seemed brand new. It was perfect. I took it with me and walked over to the dolls. I cut the arms and head from two dolls totally off. For the big finale I stabbed the sword in one of the dolls. I looked at the others. Clove was smiling, Marvel was speechless and Glimmer was already thinking of her next move. She probably knew that she would never win like this.

Clove already walked over to the knives, Marvel following her.  ‘’Can she even hit the target?’’ Glimmer asked me. I couldn’t believe my ears. Did she actually just asked that?!!? I hope for her she didn’t. Cause Clove was about to kick her ass. Clove took a lot of knives. She found some sort of armour so she could carry even more knives. ‘’Are you going to throw all of them already?’’ Marvel asked. ‘’Probably yes.’’ I answered for her. ‘’Pffff.’’ I heard Glimmer sigh. Clove was preparing to throw her knives. She threw the first two normal, the 3th, 4th and 5th with an acrobatic move and the others with variations I didn’t even knew she could do. When she was done, I walked over to her. ‘’Awesome!’’ I said and gave her a high five. Marvel also came to her. ‘’Where did you learn that?’’ He asked. ‘’She was the best in her class and moved two grades up. That’s the reason she already volunteered, instead of the age of eighteen.’’  I said.