Chapter 25: Back to the start

Cato's p.o.v.

It was a few weeks later. We saw our son growing fast. I enjoyed every second of it. Even if I had to wake up at 3 A.M. Because he was crying, he was still the cutest thing in the world. We talked everything out with Cass, and it was okay now. I'm sitting in the living room now. Arthur was sleeping in my arms. He cried last night, and I decided to take him with us this night. It was relaxing for the three of us. Tomorrow, was the reaping. Clove was scared, I was, and even Arthur was. Every time one of us couldn't hold it anymore, Arthur started to cry with us. It was the saddest and the sweetest thing at the same time.

Clove was asleep after a few hours, but Arthur and I were wide awake. I just fed Arthur and laid him back in the bed. But he wouldn't close his eyes. His crystal blue eyes were staring into mine. Arthur started laughing, like baby's do. And I smiled. I loved him. I loved him way too much.

I woke up. Within the next few hours was the reaping. And there was a pretty big chance one of us got picked. Even bigger than Brutus's or Enobaria's chance.  I sighed, and decided to get ready. Clove and Arthur were still asleep.

I took a shower and got dressed in my reaping clothes. A white shirt with jeans and sneakers. It looked just like the clothes I wore a year ago.

I walked into the bedroom, and saw that Arthur was awake. I took him downstairs, taking his clothes with me. I dressed him and ate my breakfast. When Clove walked into the kitchen, she recognized me, took Arthur from me, and laid him in the baby box. She sat down on my lap and buried her face into my chest. ''What have we done.'' She whispers. A tear rolls down my face. ''Clove, nothing will happen to us.'' I say ''I talked to some people of the capitol. Malia and Ash are allowed to come with us, if Cass doesn't want to, to take care of Arthur.'' I tell her. I kept it a secret for several weeks now. ''Really?'' She asks. ''Yes.'' I say. She sighs. ''Thank you.'' She says. I just nod, and kiss her head.

The next few hours go slow. Neither of us want to talk a lot. We spend the time kissing, crying, hugging and playing with Arthur. When we hear the buzzer, time for the reaping, I just stare at Clove. We couldn't show our weakness to anyone. ''Ready?'' I ask. She nods. I hold Arthur in my arms and gave him to Clove. She wrapped a blanket around him and we walked outside. At our front door, was a peloton peacekeepers waiting to take us with them.  I protectively wrapped my arm around Clove. She rested her head against my shoulder. We waited for Brutus, Lyme and Enobaria to come, and then started walking. Brutus and Enobaria seemed excited. I couldn't read Lyme's thoughts. Clove looked strong. Like she didn't care about the reaping. I acted the same.

We reached the podium, and stood on it. Brutus and me on one of the sides, Enobaria, Lyme and Clove on the other one. Cass didn't wanted to go to the capitol, so Ash and Malia came with us. They were standing inside the justice building. Malia was holding Arthur. I stared to the bowl. Don't pick Clove. Don't pick Clove. Is all that went through my body.

''Welcome, Welcome.'' Caitlyn started. '' To the reaping of the 75th Hunger Games!'' She sighed, and looked at Clove. Clove didn't react. ''As usual. Ladies first.'' Caitlyn said. She walked over to the bowl. She took off her blue glove, and puts her hand into the bowl. When she grabs the female tribute's name out of the bowl, the time seems to stop. I close my eyes. ''Clove Hadley Sevina.'' Caitlyn says. My eyes are wide open. Please Enobaria. Please Lyme. But they don't volunteer.  ''And now, for the boys.'' She says. She sighs when she opens the paper. ''Brutus...'' I cut her off. ''I volunteer!'' I shout. Clove looks at me. Everyone is quiet.

I step forward. I see Clove thinking, but she tries to look strong. We had to shake hands, which is harder than I thought. We walk off stage. ''My brother!'' Clove says. ''No, we're heading straight to the train.'' One of the peacekeepers said. Malia and Ash follow us. Malia hands Arthur over to me. Clove doesn't talk to me. She stares just to the space in front of her. She's angry. And at the same time she wants to cry.