Chapter 24: Arthur Jonathan Hadley

Clove's p.o.v.

I wake up from a huge pain wave in my belly. It goes on for a minute and then stops. I have this What-the-fuck look on my face. But then I realise it. Yesterday, they announced the third quarter quell. I was so afraid that I had to take my child with me. Just now, I realise, I wouldn't take my child with me in the arena.

I wake Cato up. ''Cato! Cato!'' I say. He wakes up. ''What the hell Clove. It's three o' clock A.M.'' He says. ''It's happening.'' I tell him. I can tell that he is wide awake now. I smile. ''We should get you to a hospital.'' Cato says. I nod. But just when I try to get up, another pain wave flews through my belly. I moan. Cato grabs my hand and lays his other hand on my back. After another minute I'm okay again. He swings me up and carry's me to the hospital.

After several minutes, we arrive. The doctor immediately sees what's going on, and brings me to a room. Just when we arrive in the room, water flews everywhere. ''Yep, your child is going to be born soon.'' The doctor tells us. Cato smiles.

I have to redress in a paper hospital dress. It annoys me. I'm in pain and I have to look like a doll. Cato grabs my hand. ''You look amazing.'' He says. ''Don't lie to me Cato.'' I tell him. He just stares into my eyes. And I stare back into his ice blue ones. They calmed me down. I forgot everything around me. ''You can lay down on the bed Mrs Hadley.'' She says. It took me a second to realize my name was Clove Hadley Sevina now. Not Clove Sevina anymore. I lay down. Cato grabs a chair and puts it next to the bed. These hours would be long and tiresome. Cato grabbed my hand. I felt other pains flew through my body. I was so tired. I wasn't sure if I could handle this.

Cato's p.o.v.

She was in pain. A lot. Even a blind person could see that. The squeezed her eyelids and lips. I kissed her hand. ''Within the next few hours you'll be a mother. Do it for your child.'' The nurse in the room says. I smile. ''You're doing great.'' I whisper. ''You don't know that!'' Clove says. I didn't. She was right. I just wanted to cheer her up. I decide to shut up.

One hour later

She's in more pain than I've ever seen her in. It's half past four A.M. And we are both tired. I got Clove some coffee for some energy, but she hasn't drunk it yet. I'm worried about her. A doctor comes in. ''Can I speak to you for a second?'' He asks. ''Sure.'' I say, and I follow him outside.

''She has to gain her energy. I think she's holding back. Like this, there will be a chance the doesn't survive.'' The doctor tells me. I sigh. ''I know.'' I whisper. The doctor nods and lays a hand on my shoulder. ''You have to talk to her.'' He says. I nod, and run back into the room. ''Please listen Cato.'' Clove starts, but I cut her off. ''Stop hesitating. You can do this! If you won't, you and our child will die. I won't have anything left. You CAN do this! Gain your energy. You'll need it.'' I tell her. I grab her cup of coffee and force her to drink it.

Another hour later

I can even feel her pain. It's getting worse. A tear streams down my face. I squeeze her hand. She has her other hand on her belly. I kiss her forehead. ''Relax a little my dear.'' I tell her. ''Just one more centimetre.'' The nurse says. ''Any moment now.'' And she walks away. Two doctors walk in. A man and a woman. They do some doctor stuff. I concentrate on Clove. ''Clove my love. You can choose. Home, Family. Or the games. If you want to go home, you'll have to push the baby out. Be strong. Just like you've always been.'' I tell her. She nods. I kiss her forehead once again.

Ten minutes later, she's ready. The baby can be born. ''Are you ready Mrs Hadley?'' The female doctor said. Clove nods. I grab her hand. And kiss her forehead. When the next pains arrive, you have to push. They tell her.