06 One Step Too Far

The same thing from yesterday, happened again at St. Ambrose Hospital. Catarina was healing one of her patients using magic when the ley lines attacked again. Fortunately, she and the patient was fine. I was in the Institute, when it happened so it didn't affect me at all like it did at Lorenzo's.

"Is Mr. Harris okay?" Catarina fretted.

"He'll pull through." Lei answered.

"And everyone else?" Catarina worries. Alec, Lei, Magnus, and I shared a despairing look.

"A patient upstairs on a ventilator was severely affected." I replied, cautiously "He had fallen into a brain damaged."

"Oh God... it's all my fault-" Catarina agonized, about to cry.

"Catarina, you had no way of knowing this would happen." Magnus cohort.

"This proves Lorenzo's mansion wasn't the only place affected." Alec whispery uttered. His eyebrow crease in worry "We have to get back to the Institute."

☆꧁✬◦°˚°◦.◦°˚°◦✬꧂☆

"You're gonna use the Angelic Core??" Raj pipe up "Are you serious?!"

Alec called out an emergency meeting as soon as we got back. Telling everyone what happened without sparing any details.

"This is our only chance to stop the corruption." Alec reasoned "We're gonna flood the ley lines with angelic energy. Put an end to this, once and for all."

"So, your plan is basically divine Drano?" Clary humoredly pointed out.

Alec pulled out the Institute's holograph 3D wire-frame illustration on the Ops monitor table, showing how far the ley lines lays.

"The only problem is the Institute is not built on any ley lines..." Alec explained looking precisely at Raj "...at least it's not yet. That's where Magnus comes in."

Magnus then step forward the table "I know a spell that'll allow me to temporarily divert the flow of magic at the core." he explained while tapping the holograph, showing the Institute's sheer angelic core along with the red corrupted ley lines "Once the ley line's in place, I'll tap into the core, and we can kiss the demonic corruption goodbye."

"Right, and what happens if a demon shockwaves hits while you're using your magic?" Raj retorted while manipulating the graphic illustration of the core blowing up "The core will be totally exposed."

"Well, that doesn't look good." Jace commented. Alec and Raj glared irritably at each other.

"If we're lucky, it'll only vaporize the Institute." Magnus said.

"But what if we're not lucky?" Izzy asked.

"Better not to think about that." Magnus appalled.

"This is a risk we have to take." Alec firmly said right after.

"The whole point of building the Institute away from the ley lines was to avoid something like this. Why not just quarantine the warlocks outside the city?" Raj argued loudly, pointing furiously at Magnus.

"Because kicking innocent people out of their homes isn't going to solve anything." Alec said calmly but firm.

"Neither will blowing up the Institute!" Raj bellowed.

Everyone then shout over, debating with each other. Listening to them as they throw their arguments out, I noticed Alec silently stressed out more than anyone.

"THAT'S ENOUGH." Alec ordered, stopping the bickering "This isn't just about the warlocks. You know what happened at the hospital. Everyone is at risk."