09 Down to the Core

IZZY'S POV

"There you are!" Magnus greeted, entering Alec's office with Lei "Good news, the Core is off the ley line grid and free of demonic corruption."

After five days of using the Angelic core. Magnus had free its hold on the ley lines.

"That's good news. Thank you." Alec said, fret in his voice.

"All righty then... I'll make myself scarce." Magnus said, about to leave.

"Lads, what's going on?" Lei queried, noticing our frown faces.

"We just got a fire message from Mom saying she's 'dropping by' for an impromptu 'family dinner'." I said, gesturing air quotes.

Mom wants to have an unscheduled dinner with all of her children including Jace and Maddie? It's not good. Mom isn't a type of person to do things suddenly.

Now you know why me and my brother are anxious.

"Those are a lot of air quotes." Magnus mocked.

"Didn't you just visited her yesterday?" Lei questioned.

"Yeah, that's why this is very unusual." Alec said "Mom doesn't just drop by for anything."

"We're thinking it has to do with her and Dad. They're finally making their divorce official." I added.

"My condolences." Magnus said with sympathy.

"It's for the best." I said, airy "Problem is, instead of just being sad like a normal person, she starts trying to fix everyone around her."

"Which usually includes grilling her children on everything she thinks is going wrong in their lives." Alec added.

You got that right.

"So... where are you holding this thrilling dinner?" Lei asked.

"Definitely not here." I grinned.

"The Institute tends to bring out her inner Inquisitor." Alec expound.

"How about my place?" Magnus offered.

"Magnus, you don't have to-" I start

"I insist. You can have the place all to yourselves." Magnus offered, beamingly.

"Wait. You two should be there." I inquire.

"I beg your pardon?" Lei appalled, taken by surprise.

"Think about it. If you're there being your usual charming self..." I complimented "...Mom won't have time to interrogate us."

"I'm not that charming." Lei corrected.

"I was talking about Magnus." I mocked. Magnus widely smiled at Lei.

"I am charming." Magnus sneered, looking flirting at Lei.

"You don't think it's too much to ask?" Alec query.

"Look, I learned to love you kids. And clearly this is important to you, ergo... it's important to me." Magnus leered, sincerity in his voice. My brother and I smiled at him, thankfully.

"Well, as much fun as spending a meal with Maryse is... Maddie, Clary, and I have an assignment tonight." Lei said.

Alec and I looked at him, confounded by the information "What assignment?"

MADDIE'S POV (earlier)

Jace didn't get any far as I did last night except finding out that one of the owl attacked another mundane last night.