01| find you again

I poured myself a glass of water, trying to wash away the swirling emotions I felt. Then I went to my sister's room and got her medication, trying to prepare her next dose. I handed her the pills, but she just stared at me, her eyes blank. "Please take your medicine," I said, trying to keep my voice even. She continued to look at me, not moving or saying a word.

My sister's eyes were no longer filled with their usual spark. They were blank and empty, and she was silent.

I felt my heart breaking as I looked at her, a million questions running through my head. "Roseline, you know that you have to take your medication," I said, trying to sound gentle and understanding. But she still didn't move. She just sat there, staring at me with those lifeless eyes.

"Help? Help me how, Diane?" she said, her voice quiet and hollow. "It's been five years since the accident, and I'm still in this state, stuck in this wheelchair." I could hear the pain and frustration in her voice, and it broke my heart. I had no idea what to say, no way to reassure her. I just wanted to hug her but she would say I pitied her.

Tears stung my eyes, but I fought them back. I had to be strong for my sister. Our mom had passed away a few years ago, and it had just been the two of us since then. I felt like I had to be there for her, even if I didn't know what to do. "I know it's hard," I said, my voice cracking a little. "I'm here for you, and I'm going to do everything I can to help you."

"I have to go to work, okay?" I said, trying to keep my voice steady. "Please, Roseline, take your pills." I could see the tears in her eyes as she slowly took the pills and swallowed them down with a gulp of water.

She slammed the glass down on the table and turned her wheelchair, wheeling away from me. I stood there, my heart breaking for her.

I took a deep breath, my heart heavy as I grabbed my bag and headed out the door to start my first day as a wedding planner. I knew it would be hard to focus on work, with everything that was going on with my sister. But I had to push it out of my mind and focus on the task at hand.

I had to be professional and do the best job I could. It was the least I could do for my sister, even if I couldn't do anything to help her directly.

□□□

As they walked past, fingers intertwined and smiles painted on their faces. It was laughably predictable, their perfect facade barely disguising what lay beneath.

A pang of sadness tugged at my heart, not for the presumed happiness they possessed, but for the superficiality of it all. I hated myself for feeling this way, this bitter attitude I wore like a shield. Deep down I wanted that to be me, I craved that connection. Although my past experiences had crafted a thick armor around my heart, shielding me from pain.

My tear-stained cheeks prompted a sting of guilt. Dragging myself out of misery, I forced a melodic laugh, playing the part of indifference.

For the longest time, I was never one to be associated with feelings of apathy, boredom, or absence. However, all of that changed four months ago when everyone began to shower praise on a happy couple.

Things weren't as they seemed, and it wasn't in this case. The man she idolized with her doe-loving eyes too shamelessly cast his gaze upon me. Not so long ago, I bade farewell to Isaak who lay helplessly on the ground, enveloped in insensibility. And now the hands that comforted him weren't mine.

She was engaged to the man- wounds clung to my tattered soul.

He was mine and mine only- I truly believed it.

However, he hurt me. He betrayed me.

"I'll never love another, "

"You'll be my wife," His words echoed in my clouded thoughts.

What he didn't know is that I'd leave him with a wound that would shatter his soul, leaving him with eternal anguish he could never recover.