20| fire burns

I S A A K

"My, oh my," Ivan said, his eyes fixed on a beautiful blonde woman standing across the room. "Who is that?" He asked, his voice full of longing. "Luka is one lucky guy," he added with a sly grin.
I turned to look where he was looking, and my heart sank when I saw Luka with Diane.

Her arms wrapped around Luka's waist as they danced. Her pink ball gown was stunning, the light reflecting off of it, making her look like an angel. I felt a stab of jealousy, wondering why she had to look so perfect. I knew she was trouble, and yet I couldn't tear my eyes away. I watched as they moved gracefully across the room, lost in their little world. It was a sight I could barely stand to watch.

Ivan spoke. "Oh, how I wish she was mine,"  his words slurred with drink. I clenched my fists, knowing I'd stab him if he uttered another word. I glared at him and he took the hint.

Imbecile.

Suddenly, her blue eyes locked onto mine. She didn't look surprised to see me there, as if she had known I would be there all along. And Luka's back was turned to me, oblivious to the drama unfolding behind him. It was as if the world had stopped spinning, everything moving in slow motion.

My patience was running out. I needed something to calm me down, but I knew that a cigar would only make things worse. I dug around in my pocket and pulled out a piece of gum, popping it into my mouth. The sweet flavor hit my tongue, and I felt myself relax a little.

"One day you'll feel what it's like to see your lover in somebody else's arms." Her words echoed.

I watched them as they danced, their bodies moving in perfect sync. And then I saw it - her eyes met mine. She didn't seem surprised by my presence and she quickly looked away, turning her attention back to Luka.

"Evening, my love,"

I felt her hand on my shoulder, her fingers trailing down my suit jacket. My body tensed, my muscles like stone.
"What are you doing here?" I asked, my voice hard and cold. I didn't want to be civil, I didn't want to be nice. I wanted her to leave.

"To be with you, of course but also because it's my father's party," She looked at me. "What else would I be doing?"

"I don't know Yulia. Maybe at home, practicing how to shoot? I couldn't care less as long as I don't see your face,"  My eyes locked on hers. I saw something there, a flash of hurt before she quickly recovered.

I sighed, hoping this party would end soon.

But just as I thought I might get rid of her, Viktor's voice boomed over the speakers, cutting through the music.

A small part of me was relieved that I wouldn't be spending the rest of the night, listening to Yulia.

Everyone's eyes turned towards the stage, and I knew I would have to wait a little longer to be free of her.
I watched as Viktor took the stage, a broad smile on his face. He was enjoying the attention, lapping it up like a dog with a bone. I rolled my eyes, my patience wearing thin. I just wanted to leave, to get away from it all.

"Attention, all couples." Viktor said, a mischievous grin on his face. "I hope you're ready for this because I know I am."
I could feel the tension in the room ratchet up a notch, the couples exchanging nervous glances.

He snapped his fingers, and the lights dimmed. A spotlight hit the stage.

"I know you're all dying to know the mystery I have planned," Viktor said, his smile getting wider. "But I'm not going to keep you in suspense any longer."
The anticipation in the room was palpable, everyone on the edge of their seats. Viktor paused for a moment, letting the tension build. Then, he spoke again.

"To the men," he said, his voice booming. "When I call your name, I want you to come to the stage with your lady by your side."

"There's no need to worry," he continued. "The men won't be touching the ladies, but there will be assistants helping with the activity." This only seemed to deepen the confusion, the crowd growing restless. I could feel the tension mounting, everyone on the verge of panic.

"Please, just relax," Viktor said, trying to calm the crowd. "You'll understand everything soon enough." But his words did little to soothe the crowd. They were still on edge, unsure of what to expect.

"To clear up any confusion, I'd like to show you all a demonstration," Viktor announced. "And to do that, I'm going to need a volunteer couple."

The room was silent, everyone holding their breath. "The Mavericks," Viktor called, pointing to a couple in the front row. The man and woman stood up, looking slightly apprehensive. They made their way to the stage, their steps slow and deliberate.
I watched them as they took their place on the stage, wondering what Viktor had in store for them.

"And of course, my daughter, Isaak's wife, won't be taking part in the activity. After all, I know Isaak would never allow anyone to touch his lovely wife." Viktor flashed me a smile.

"Now, let's get started," he said, clapping his hands together. "The rest of you, please sit back and enjoy the show." The crowd slowly settled back into their seats, their eyes glued to the stage.

"Tie him up," Viktor instructed, pointing to the man. The man looked shocked as the assistants secured him to a chair. His wife stood off to the side, a look of fear on her face.

"And now," Viktor said, his voice commanding the room. "I'm going to show you all something that will make your heads spin." He turned to the wife, giving her a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, everything is going to be fine," he told her, and she nodded slightly, still looking uncertain.

The wife was pushed down onto the stage, and she let out a small gasp. "What's going on?" the husband asked, his voice full of panic. "Stop this! I don't want her to be a part of this!"

"Quiet, or else," Viktor said, his voice dark and menacing. "If you don't co-operate, your wife will pay the price." The husband's face went pale, and he fell silent, his eyes filled with fear.

Viktor smirked in satisfaction, rubbing his hands together.  "Undress her,"