10| rubberband

DIANE

Present time

□□□

Despite everything I had said, I was back in his life.

A lot happened since the incident at the hospital like when he recovered and as soon as he got the chance, he found me. I don't know how but he did. He explained everything to me,  word for word, telling me the brunette wasn't his girlfriend.

Of course, I didn't trust him until the brunette's visits became more frequent and I could feel her jealousy every time I was around.

She pulled me into an empty room, her eyes blazing with fury. "He's mine," she spat, her voice low and venomous. I forced myself to stay calm, to not react. "I couldn't care less," I said, my voice steady. But she could see through my facade, and her grip on my wrist tightened.

"You should,"

"Listen, Julia or whatever your name is-"

"It's Yulia," Her Russian accent was thick and evident. I shrugged and said, "Again, I couldn't care less."

"You don't know who I am, you don't know who he is, only I do,"

"You think you're so tough?" She snarled, her nails digging into my wrist. "You're nothing but a little girl playing at being a big shot. You have no idea what you're getting into." I could feel my heart racing, adrenaline coursing through my veins. But I wasn't about to let her intimidate me.

"I've seen worse, sweetheart," I said, my voice cool and collected. "And you know what? I love it. I love the thrill, the danger. It's what keeps me going." And with that, I pulled my wrist free and walked away.

A lot happened after that, my eyes were opened and it was clear she was just an obsessive woman wanting to get her hands on something that never belonged to her- that never wanted her. 

Despite her efforts to separate us, the days went on with Isaak and I getting closer each day. I don't know where Mr. Grinch had gone but I liked the human side of him. I couldn't help but wonder where the cold and distant man I had met had gone, replaced by someone warm and charming.

I knew that letting myself get close to him was a risk, but I couldn't bring myself to stay away. Every time I looked into his eyes, I felt like I was falling into a bottomless abyss, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to be saved.

"I love you," His voice echoed. "She'll never be you." His words were like a beautiful melody that I'd replay every day of my life but one day the record broke.

I knew the Russian wouldn't stop until she got what she wanted and she was successful as my eyes landed on her hands that were over his.

I couldn't believe it. Not that I saw him- but that he was getting married to the same girl he never wanted- what made it worse is that I happened to planning this wedding. I nearly scoffed, I wouldn't be surprised if the Russian had anything to do with it

The look in his eyes said it all as he couldn't keep his eyes off me. They were holding hands. My heart dropped. I felt like someone had punched me in the gut. Everything around me seemed to fade away, and all I could see was them, their hands intertwined. It was like a knife twisting on my left side.  But I couldn't shake the feeling that something wasn't right. It was like a nagging thought in the back of my mind, a feeling of unease that wouldn't go away.