04| phantosmia

DIANE

The music was deafening, pounding in my ears like the beat of a drum. The floor vibrated beneath my feet, the force of the bass making my body tremble.

People were pressed against each other, their bodies slick with sweat, the air thick with the smell of alcohol and sweat. I tried to move with the rhythm, to let myself go, but I couldn't. My thoughts were consumed by what had happened.

I was sure to let it all out with the girls later but right now I didn't want to be a party popper. So I did the one thing I knew would put me in the mood and that was drinking tequila.

I could feel the tequila burn down my throat, its bitter taste lingering on my tongue. I had never been much of a drinker, let alone a fan of tequila, but I needed something to take the edge off.

The world around me was starting to blur, and I welcomed the numbness that was starting to take over. I knew it wasn't healthy, that I was only using alcohol to escape my problems, but I couldn't bring myself to care. I just wanted to forget.

"Diane, hey are you ok?" Claudia asked with concern. I smiled, cupping her cheeks. Malika gasped. "Did you drink?"

"Crap. Let's get out of here before some guy takes advantage of you," Claudia said. "Don't be a party popper," I slurred.

"Diane, we're leaving now."

"No," I stumbled, swinging my bag on somebody's face. "Hey pretty lady, you look like you need a drink," His accent is heavy and unmistakable.

"Back off," Claudia glared. "I suggest you listen," I turn to look at the guy. "She's not friendly. By the way, sorry for hitting you," I whispered, my vision becoming more distorted.

"Woo!" I wiggled my arms as Malika and Claudia tried their best to walk me out of the club but my carelessness caused me to drop something.

The sound of shattering glass pierced the air, the noise jolting me out of my trance. I blinked, my eyes adjusting to the sudden change in light, and realized that the source of the noise was a vase that had been knocked over. Shards of glass lay scattered across the floor, glinting in the dim light. I could feel my heart pounding in my chest, my mind racing as I tried to make sense of what had just happened.

"Hey what's your problem lady!" said the bartender, his voice so loud that it startled me. "I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to"

"Come here," he said, grabbing my wrist and pulling me toward him. But Malika stepped in, pushing him away from me.

"Leave her alone," she said, her voice firm. He glared at her, his jaw clenched. Then, before I could react, he shoved her. She stumbled backward, and with a sickening thud, hit the floor. My heart stopped. "What the hell is wrong with you?" I shouted, my voice shaking.

I moved to Malika's side, kneeling next to her. "Are you okay?" I asked, my voice barely a whisper.

Suddenly, the music stopped, and the club went silent, and only the sound of pounding footsteps could be heard.

A tall, imposing figure emerged from the crowd, his eyes narrowed as he took in the scene before him. "What's going on here?" he demanded, his voice stern. But I ignored him, my attention focused solely on Malika. I helped her to her feet, keeping my arm around her as she struggled to stand. "Are you okay?" I asked again, my voice filled with concern.