54| uncover

DIANE

I rolled my head back, trying to blink away the pain that was threatening to overwhelm me.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed, but it felt like an eternity. The silence was deafening, broken only by the memory  of Yulia's occasional sobs. I had no idea what to do. I couldn't stay here, but there was no way out.

It felt like hours had passed since Yulia had left the room. I hadn't heard a sound since, except for the soft ticking of the clock on the wall.

I wondered where she had gone, what she was doing. I felt a sense of panic rising within me, the isolation and silence becoming unbearable.

My thoughts went to the men who had removed the body, wondering if they would come back.

Just then, a tray slid under the door. I heard the sound of dishes clattering against each other, and my stomach growled. But when I looked at the plate, I felt a wave of nausea wash over me.

It was a plate of greens, soggy and unappetizing. I knew I should eat, but I couldn't stomach the thought. Was I some prisoner?

Technically I was.

The door to the room clicked open, and I felt my heart jump into my throat.

A man stood in the doorway, dressed in all black and armed to the teeth. He looked at me, his face impassive. "Lady, you have to eat," he said, his voice hard and unyielding. But I ignored him, refusing to even look at him. I was numb, my thoughts racing. I had to get out of here - was the only thing that was on my mind right now 

There was no way Yulia thought I'd eat the food she had sent. It was clear she was trying to starve me out, to break me.

The man stepped closer to me, his eyes fixed on me. "Lady, this isn't a request. This is an order. You have to eat." I let out a bitter laugh.

"You're kidding, right? There's no way I'm eating that slop." He scowled at me, his face darkening.

"You don't have a choice," he said, his voice hard.

"You'll have to force me," I said, my voice shaking with anger and fear. But to my surprise, he did just that. He grabbed my jaw, forcing my mouth open, and shoved the food in.

I was in shock, but my anger rose quickly, and I spat the food back at him. He wiped it off his face, his eyes blazing. "I'm not playing around, ma'am. You will eat this," he said, his voice low and threatening.

He grabbed a handful of my hair, yanking it back so hard that I cried out in pain.

"Listen here, you little..." he started, his voice dark and full of malice. But before he could finish, the door opened, and Yulia and a man I recognized as her father walked in.

She was composed, her makeup flawless, not a tear in sight. She gave me a cold, calculated look. She was dressed in a leather jacket, her long brown hair flowing down her back.

Her black combat boots and cargo pants made her look intimidating, and the way she held herself screamed authority but she knew it didn't faze. "Let her go," I heard Viktor say.

The man's grip on my hair tightened, and I let out a cry of pain. "Let the crybaby go," Suddenly, I felt a hand on the man's face, and he let go of me so fast that I thought I was imagining things. I looked up, and I saw Viktor, his hand still on the man's face. The man looked scared, his eyes wide. "I'm sorry boss," The short bastard said, bowing his head.

"It's just that-"

"Leave, just leave." Viktor said and the short guy did as he said.

Once he was gone, I averted my gaze from the dooe and looked at the two. "What do you want from me?" I asked, my voice wavering. I looked from Yulia to Viktor, my eyes searching for answers.

"Good thing you asked," Yulia said, a smirk playing on her lips. My stomach dropped.

"We want Sebastian," she said, her voice cold and detached. I nearly laughed, but the sound got caught in my throat.

"If you think you'll get him from me, you're much dumber than I thought," I said, my voice shaking with annoyance.

"We figured you'd say that," Yulia said, her eyes boring into mine. She didn't back down, and neither did I. "But you see, Sebastian is a special case. He's different from the other kids. We need you to get him." I scoffed, my anger rising.

"If you're so powerful, why do you need my help? Can't you use your little alliance to get him?" I asked, my voice dripping with sarcasm. Yulia's face hardened, and I knew I had struck a nerve.

"I want to see you suffer so that would be... too easy." I couldn't believe her right now.
After pouring her heart out last night, she was back to her old ways.

I was in disbelief. After last night, I thought Yulia might have changed, that maybe she wasn't so bad after all. But now, I saw that I was wrong. A leopard truly doesn't change its spots.

"Daddy dear," Yulia said, a cruel smile on her lips. She held up her hand, her fingers splayed. A second later, I heard the sound of paper and something landed in her hand.

Viktor handed her a file, and she opened it. Her smile faded slowly as she read, her eyes growing wide. "Read it," she said, holding the file out to me. I just stared at her, my heart pounding. Was this some kind of trap? Was this some kind of test? f so, I didn't want to play her games. "Fine," she said, a scowl on her face.

Pathetic.

She snapped her fingers, and one of the men stepped forward.

He was dragging a woman behind him, and he threw her to the ground, like she was nothing more than a piece of trash. The woman sobbed, her hands covering her face. I squinted, trying to place her. There was something familiar about her, but I couldn't put my finger on it at the moment.

"It's simple," Yulia said, her words cold and calculated.

"You can either choose the easy way, and hand over Sebastian to us, where he rightfully belongs. Or, the hard way. The day Isaak dies qndhis sweet little mom dies. Then the little idiot turns out to be an orphan." She smiled, a cruel, victorious grin.

"Either way, I win." I stared at her. How could she be so cold, so heartless? I looked at the woman, her face tear-streaked and frightened.

Suddenly, she looked up, and I saw her face clearly. My heart stopped. It was Teresa. The woman I met at the cruise event.

Sebas'.... mom?

I shook my head, my hands trembling. "No," I said, my voice barely a whisper.

Yulia clenched her jaw, her eyes flashing with anger. "Fine," she said, her voice low and dangerous. "But either way, I've written out your fate. You're going to suffer, and I'll be front-seat to see it all." I felt a chill run down my spine.

"Why? Why is Sebastian so important to you guys? And why would Ezekiel-" I stopped, the pieces clicking into place.

"No," I said, the words barely escaping my lips. "Unless..." I trailed off. "Unless Ezekiel is Sebas' father."

Yulia smirked. "Bingo,"