52| mastermind

DIANE

I tossed and turned, but I couldn't fall back asleep. I could feel Isaak's arms wrapped around me, his body warm and comforting. But I had to get up, to move.

I carefully slipped out of his grasp, careful not to wake him. I grabbed his blazer, inhaling the familiar scent as I wrapped it around myself and I walked to the balcony.

I opened the doors, stepping out into the cool night air. The moon was high in the sky, its light bathing everything in a soft glow.

I knew I couldn't stay here, not with Isaak and Sebas. If I stayed, I would have to face them in the morning, and I wasn't sure I could do that.

My thoughts drifted back to a time when things were almost perfect, before everything went wrong. I say almost because things are never perfect.

The sound of a phone ringing snapped me out of my thoughts.

I reached into Isaak's blazer, fishing out the phone that was vibrating in the pocket. The screen lit up, the caller ID reading "Luciano" What was he doing calling at this hour?

I hesitated, unsure of what to do. Should I answer it? Should I let it ring? Or should I just turn it off?

Before I could do anything, the call ended, and a voicemail played. I was taken by surprise, not expecting the voice that filled my ears. "Isaak," the voice said, its deep tone laced with urgency.

"Please call me back as soon as you get this. It's urgent. Something's happened." My heart pounded in my chest, my breath coming in short, shallow gasps.

What had happened?

The message continued, and I recognized Luciano's voice on the other end. My heart sank, dread filling my body as I listened to his words. "Brother, I have some evidence against Luka. He was there the night Roseline got into the accident." I blinked.

"I'll tell you the rest in person but you need to let Diane know and stop hiding this from her." The message ended, and I stood there in a daze, my mind racing with thoughts. What did all of this mean? What should I do?

My heart dropped, the news hitting me like a ton of bricks.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Did Isaak know about all of this and let me blame him? Why hadn't he told me? I felt a mix of emotions, anger, guilt and sadness battling within me.

How could he have kept this from me? Why didn't he trust me enough to tell me the truth? I felt tears pricking at the corners of my eyes, my vision blurring as I fought to hold them back.

I set Isaak's phone on the coffee table, my hands shaking as I tried to still them. My eyes landed on the bottle of pills on the table, I squinted my eyes but my thoughts were too clouded for me to care.

I took one last look at Isaak, lying there so peacefully, completely unaware of the storm raging inside of me.

I couldn't stay in the room, I had to get out. I left the room, closing the door behind me with a soft click. I stood in the hallway, trying to calm my racing thoughts.

I opened my clutch and pulled out my phone, my hands trembling as I found Luka's number and typed out a text.

- Meet me by the pool

I wrote, my heart pounding in my chest. I sent the text, knowing that I had to face him.

I had to know the truth. I turned and headed towards the pool, my mind spinning with thoughts and questions. Why had he done this? How could he have kept it from me? What did it all mean?