Avoidance

Dad left early this morning to be in Port Angeles an hour and a half before Isabella's plane was supposed to land for fear that it would land early and he would have to endure Renee's wrath. I slept in a little before getting up and heading down to the diner for breakfast. The diner was almost empty this early in the morning, only a group of four old guys sat talking on the other side of the room. Only the diner owner and his wife were working this early and it was peaceful. I sat down in the corner booth and pulled out yesterday's paper that had been left.

"Here you go pumpkin." Mrs. Lindstrom said as she placed a cup of coffee in front of me.

"Thank you, Mrs. Lindstrom." I said and started to add the cream and sugar to my cup.

"Now Eli, how many times do I have to tell you to call me Aggie?" She said with a stern face as she pointed her pen at me.

"Sorry. Thank you Aggie." I said and smiled at her.

"Now. What do you want today?" She asked and smiled back at me. Aggie and her husband have been running this diner since dad was a boy and she tried to treat everyone like family.

"What's currently cooking in the back?" I asked back. I was up for anything.

"Blueberry pancakes and red skin potatoes. I can put in a couple eggs." Aggie said and I smiled and nodded my head.

"That sounds great." Aggie scribbled it down on her little notepad before taking it to the kitchen. I didn't bother to pick the paper back up because I knew as soon as the order was in that Aggie would be back to talk with me. This was a routine. When I came in for breakfast during the week without dad, Aggie would come to sit and talk with me. Stopping once and a while to take care of a customer.

"So I heard your sister is coming to town. How long is she going to be here?" Aggie asked as she sat down with her own cup of coffee.

"I don't know, to tell ya the truth. Supposedly she's coming to give Renee and her new husband space to travel. It could be as short as a couple months or she could be here till she graduates." I said with a shrug as I took another sip of my coffee.

"What's your mother think about this?" Aggie asked with a knowing smirk. She had been here the whole time Renee and dad dated through till the divorce. She knew how Renee could be.

"She has only called to remind dad to pick up Isabella from the airport on time and to remind me to watch out for my sister. To make sure nothing happens to her baby." I said and Aggie just shook her head with a sad smile.

"What are you planning to do while she's here? I know you're not going to hang out in that house, the two of you have never gotten along." Aggie asked and I smiled. She and Henry knew dad and I real well.

"I've been looking for a place of my own, but when it was only dad and I there really wasn't a need to move out. Neither of us has a special lady and we were good company for each other. I found a place down just passed the res border. Uncle Billy has pulled some strings for me and he says that if I pay for the simple repairs then I can have the place." I said with a proud smile. Aggie smiled at me and patted my hands.

"Your still gonna come visit me right, Eli?" Aggie asked with a playful glare.

"How could I stay away Aggie? It would break my heart not to see you during the week for breakfast." I said and she brightened up and gave me a million dollar smile.

"You know you are quite the charmer." Aggie said as the bell rang from the kitchen. Aggie got up and got me my breakfast. We continued to talk as I ate.

"So how is it coming with that Leah girl from the res?" Aggie asked and I nearly spit my coffee making Aggie laughed.

"What do you mean about Leah?" I asked after forcing my coffee done.