Breaking Point

Today is Harry's funeral and I could already see Leah cracking behind the hard exterior she had tried to rebuild since Harry's death and her joining of the pack. I had even overheard Embry and Quil talking and they had called her the ice queen. I had given them both a piece of my mind before they quickly apologized before leaving with their tails between their legs, no pun intended. I had seen red, Paul held me back from taking a swing when I had the chance.

I was driving Leah and Seth to the funeral while dad drove Sue. Leah clutched my hand while Seth sat in the back staring stoically out the window. It was hard to see the normally lively and smiling Seth, depressed and grieving. Alex sat in his car seat gurgling while he played with a set of toy keys, occasionally sticking them in his mouth to chew on them. I knew Alex was one of the reasons Leah was fighting her wolf so hard to control her wolf and learn to control her phasing. She missed taking care of Alex, watching him grow and living in the house like the family we had become.

When we pulled up the council hall I helped Leah out of the truck before getting Alex out. He was dressed in a little suit that Sue had bought for him for Easter. Leah smiled and took him into her arms, giving him an eskimo kiss. He yawned and snuggled into Leah's arm arms to fall asleep. I put my arm around Leah and the four of us made our way into the hall. Most of the tribe was inside along with some people from Forks. Harry was an important and well liked guy and many had come out to celebrate his life with us.

We settled next to dad and Sue and waited for Billy to start the service. I watched Leah during the service. I watched the tears fall down her face and let a few fall myself. Harry had been like a second father or a great Uncle that I could always count on. He had taught me to ride my bike without training wheels while dad had to work long hours at the station. He was at my baseball and football games when dad couldn't with Sue, Leah and Seth. He was a man who I could look up to and admire as much as I did my father. Harry would be missed by much of the community and even more by the people he held close.

When the services Sue and Leah with Alex in her arms walked out behind the casket that Seth, Jacob, Sam and I carried out to the hearse. The drive was slow to the tribal cemetery, everyone stood and watched as the four of us carried Harry's casket to the gravesite. His casket was carved with a forest scene with a large pond that he sat on the edge and was fishing from and if you really looked you could see the characters of the legends also held their place in the wood. Billy said some finally words, followed by my father.

"Leah? Eli? Do either of you have any finally words?" Billy asked. Leah shook her head and hugged Alex a little closer to her. I gave her a reassuring squeeze before taking a step forward.

"Harry was a great man who had an impact on everyone around him. We were lucky to have known him and I hope that he is at peace." I said and there were nods from some people while more tears fell down other's faces. I stepped back to Leah and pulled her close to my side. Billy said a finally prayer in Quileute before everyone started to leave. Dad took Alex, allowing Leah and I to be alone for a few minutes while everyone headed back to the hall for the dinner. I tried pulling Leah away and Seth tried to help, but when the casket started to be lowered into the ground the dam broke. The wall Leah had built broke.

"NO!!" Leah screamed and fell to her knees with her sobs.

"NO! DADDY!! WHY??!!" She sobbed and I knelt down pulling her to me. She clutched me as she sobbed. I winced at her grip, but refused to complain. I rocked her and whispered calming things in her ear. Seth looked pained as he saw his strong sister on the ground sobbing into my chest. Leah had always been the strong one in his eyes. He looked up to her, saw her as his rock that had been unmovable even when her heart had been broken she had refused to cry in front of Seth. Tears were streaming down Seth's face and I nodded toward the road to Sue and dad who were loading up.