Tailspin

As I suspected Isabella's progress took a turn in the wrong direction. Apparently she was still desperate to hang around Jake. She had been told been that Jake was suffering from mono and she couldn't come see him for fear of her catching it and that he couldn't talk on the phone. Billy told me that Isabella ha called every day checking in on Jake and asking if there was anything she could do. Her constant calls were wearing on Jake adding to his guilt because he had to lie to her.

This irritated me. How Isabella could call and check up on Jake every day, but when it came to her son, her own flesh and blood, she couldn't care less about him and his health. She had fallen back into her Cullen deprived mindset and I had a feeling that would never come out of it. Even if she had the chance to leave it all behind her like a bad memory I feared she would cling to his memory and what they had, even if it meant pushing everyone that cares the least bit about her, even dad.

Today Harry and I had dragged dad out to a dad on the water for the first fish of the season. Isabella was supposed to go to a friend's to study for the day. As we were coming home dad had called the Stanley's to inform Isabella that he would be home soon and had learned that Isabella had never gone to the Stanley's. Dad had fumed the rest of the ride home and had angrily put away his gear and the fish he had caught in the fridge before going in the house to wait for Isabella.

It was getting dark when we heard the roar of her truck's coming down the street. She slammed the door shut behind her and we all heard the rapid clicking of the lock on the kitchen door. I heard the door creak as she leaned back against it.

"Bella?" Dad called as he walked toward the kitchen.

"Yeah, it's me." She called back. Her voice was shaky and a little panicky, peaking my curiosity.

"Where have you been?" Dad thundered as he stormed into the kitchen.

"I was hiking." She said sheepishly. I looked at Harry as he looked at me. We both knew that could put dad over the top. Everyone had been warned about going into the forest for danger of the animal that had been killing people throughout the peninsula. Dad had specifically told Isabella on more than one occasion not to go into the trees.

"What happened to going to Jessica's?" He asked and I could imagine the glare he was sending her. Dad hadn't been this mad since Paul and I had told dad that we were going to Jared's for the night and the three of us had actually gone to Seattle a concert that he had forbidden us from going to. He ended up getting a call from the Seattle Police department after Paul had gotten into a guy who was high and drunk; the exact reason dad had prohibited us from going. Mrs. and Mr. Cameron along with my dad had grounded us for six months.

"I didn't feel like calculus today." She said and I could picture her looking down at her shoes as she shuffled her feet.

"I thought I asked you to stay out of the forest." Dad said. Dad wasn't a strict parent by any means, but the things he told you not to do, he expected you to follow his word and not do it.

"Yeah, I know. Don't worry, I won't do it again," She replied and for the first time in a while there was a note of sincerity in her voice that had been missing. There was a pause before dad spoke again.

"What happened?" Dad asked and I looked at Harry confused before moving to the kitchen doorway to see what dad was seeing. Isabella stood in the doorway slightly shaking while covered in dirt and debris from the forest floor with small cuts and bruises scattered on her face and hands.

"I saw the bear." She said trying to sound calm, but failing miserably. I looked wide eyed at Harry as he hurried to the doorway to see for himself Isabella's condition. If she had seen the guys she most have been close to a leech if they were willing to reveal themselves to her sight to get to it.