Worry

It was November and the weather was turning cold. It was Thanksgiving and everyone was at my house for dinner. Everyone included dad, Isabella, Leah, Seth, Sue, Harry, Billy, Jake, and Paul. Jared had been invited but had declined opting to spend the day with his family and Kim. Sue, Leah and Isabella were doing the cooking and all but banished us guys from the kitchen, sending us to the living rooms where we were yelling at the TV. We were only allowed back in if they needed lifting pots and pans or getting something off a tall shelf that they couldn't reach.

I was officially Forks Police Department's new rookie. Tina and Doctor Grandy finally gave me the okay right before Halloween. I hadn't wasted time getting a hold of my Sergeant and telling Dad. They were both glad that I was fully recovered and plans were made for me to take my final test the two weeks later. It was only a couple days after the test that Dad had gotten word to put me in uniform and give me my badge. I know worked eight to five during the week with Officer Daniel Wyatt who is considered my training officer for the next year and a half. Dan was glad that he had a partner like the two other officers even if it was the rookie. He gave me hell at every possible turn and said it was going to be fun to break the rookie and not to expect special treatment.

You could smell the food finishing up in the kitchen as the half time show started and all of us were fighting to storm the kitchen. I distracted myself by focusing on the look Paul was giving Jake. Jake was twitching and taking glances at Paul before finally excusing himself to the bathroom to get away from Paul. I made eye contact with Paul and nodded to the back door. He nodded and we both headed down the back hall and passed Jake on his way back from the bathroom. We walked to the garage and started working on Alex's bookshelf. Paul sat on the low bench a couple feet away.

"What's on your mind Eli?" Paul asked when he got tired of the silence.

"You suck at being inconspicuous." I said and got started filing the top of the bookshelf.

"What do you mean?" Paul asked as he leaned forward.

"You're freaking the kid out. You can see the changes without staring at him from across the room." I said and Paul huffed and leaned back.

"So you think you can do better Eli?" Paul asked crossing his arms over his chest flexing his biceps, trying to be intimidating. I rolled my eyes and grabbed the cherry stain can and a brush.

"What have you gathered?" I asked.

"He isn't showing much change. Really he's only gotten taller and put on a little muscle." Paul said with a shrug.

"There's more than that. His temperature has gone up, he has more of a temper, and he eats more than I've ever seen him eat before. You weren't and aren't close with him so minor things like this escape your notice. You don't need to watch him like Sam and Jared did you, you can get updates from Billy and I. Old Quil can give you updates on Quil because they see them every day and know the two better than anyone.

I noticed that Jake's temper started to flare after Embry's phase. You and the 'gang' are his source of anger and Embry leaving him and Quil for you guys is a sore spot." I said and Paul seemed a little impressed with my analysis.

"He told you all this?" Paul asked and I look at him like he was stupid.

"What guy talks about his feelings with another guy that he isn't paying to keep his mouth shut?" I asked and Paul nodded with a shrug.

"Point taken. I guess your training has paid off." Paul said with a smirk. I glared at him and threw a paint brush at him. He caught it before he hit him in the head with a smug smirk.

"Great idea Paul, you can help me finish staining this book case." I said and he glared at me before getting up an helping me finish the coat of stain.