Already on the Job

Dad picked me up bright and early this morning. He was taking me to get my shoulder checked then depending on the results I would go to either the station or to the diner. The doc wasn't happy that he had to see me this early in the morning but dad had pulled some strings with the nurses. Dad rolled me into the hospital and we immediately taken in for an x-ray. Dr. Grandy had them take an x-rays of my shoulder and pelvis to check that everything was healing the way it was supposed to. He was also checking my head and incisions while I was here.

"Well Eli, it looks like your shoulder had healed pretty well. You won't have to wear the sling anymore but you should still take it easy on your arm. Have you experienced any pain in head?" Dr. Grandy asked as he poked at my head.

"I had a headache about a week ago. Nothing major." I said and he nodded as he continued to check my head.

"Bad news is that you'll still be in the wheel chair for a while. You are healing remarkably fast, come back in a week we'll check it again and see if your healed enough to start therapy. Pull your shirt up please." Dr. Grandy said and moved on to checking my incision. Therapy was good news it meant that I would be back on my feet sooner than later. It wasn't long before doc had checked everything he wanted to and we were headed back out of the hospital. This news meant I was able to get back to work and I would be able to drive again.

When we got to the station everyone greeted me and told me how happy they were I was recovering. They all laughed when I said a tank couldn't take me out against my will. Sandy gave me a hug when she saw me; she even got a little teary eyed. The hug was a little awkward with the baby in between us. I got to work at the desk after having a talk with dad. The chair was too bulky and short for the desk so dad had gotten me a teller wheeled chair so I could still move around the room and not be forced to sit in one spot all day.

At lunch dad had a surprise visit from Isabella and the boyfriend. While Isabella went into dad the boyfriend decided to stay out at the desk with me. I basically ignored him while I did paperwork and answered the phone. What was taking Isabella so long with dad? I was going to run out of things that gave me a reason to ignore him. I finished a piece of paperwork and rolled the chair over to the filing cabinet.

"Why don't you just walk over to the filing cabinet?" The idiot asked form the other said of the desk. I looked at him like he was stupid.

"Isabella didn't tell you?" I asked back.

"Tell me what?" He asked.

"The accident fractured my pelvis. I'm wheelchair bound till the doc tells me otherwise. If I try to walk I could do more damage." I said.

"I didn't know. She didn't say anything about it." He said and I nodded.

"It figures. She's so infatuated with you that she doesn't pay much attention to anything else. I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't know." I said and found some more paperwork.

"What do you mean she's infatuated? We love each other." Now this guy is really a dumb ass.

"What do the two of you know about love? She's never dated before you. She doesn't know what it's like to love someone outside a familial love. You might think you love each other but it's only infatuation." I said. The boy got a strange look on his face and I went back to my paperwork.

"How do you know that we don't truly love each other?" I didn't even bother to look up from my paperwork.

"Your actions." I said. He finally stayed quiet as I did my paperwork for a minute.

"How do you know the difference?" He asked. I sighed and put the paperwork off to the side it was obvious that I wasn't going to get anymore work done with him here.