Scottsdale

The last few days have been tense. Dad was on edge from not hearing from Isabella and I was still pissed that she would hurt our father in such a way. To dad it was like getting hit below the belt. Leah and I left Seattle Friday afternoon after my last test instead of Saturday morning so I could get home sooner. Leah was very understanding and was packed and ready to go Thursday night. I cancelled the night reservation for the apartment so that I wouldn't be charged and had everything in the truck ready to go before my test. Leah hung out around campus while I took the test and we hit the road by one thirty. The drive back was quiet and seemed to last forever. Leah kissed my check and gave me a tight hug after I helped her get her things into the house.

Dad was a wreck. There were beer cans all over and take out container on the counter. I sighed and began to clean up. It has been four days since she ran off and everything was going to hell in a hand basket. Dad was at work and I hope he's sober. The phone rang as I finished cleaning up the house. The caller id said the number was from somewhere in Arizona. I hurried to pick up the phone figuring it was Isabella coming to her senses.

"Hello?" I answered just in case it wasn't.

"Hello this is Dr. Clarkson from Mayo Clinic Hospital in Scottsdale, Arizona. May I speak with Charles Swan?" A voice said through the phone. Shit! The only reason a hospital would be calling is if Isabella's hurt or she's dead!

"He's not here right now, but I'm his son, Elijah. Can I help you?" I asked back.

"Ah! Yes, you're Isabella Swan's brother. I hate to inform you, but your sister has been admitted into our hospital with multiple injuries and we have to inform the next of kin." Is there any way we can get a hold of Mr. Swan?" The doc asked and I knew that if they called dad at work that this could end bad so I lied.

"No, there's no way to contact him directly. I'll call around to find him. Is there a number he can call back at? I asked. The doc gave me a number and I write it down so dad could call from the car. I thanked the doctor and hung up. I'm glad I hadn't unpacked my bag yet. I ran upstairs and packed a bag for dad, then grabbed my laptop. I found the address of the hospital and got directions for how to get there from the interstate. I up everything into the truck and drove to the station. Everyone greeted me as I came in and I got dad some time off for the next two weeks before walking into his office and shutting the door.

"Eli? What are you doing here? You don't have a training course today. I thought you were coming back tomorrow." Dad said but seemed to notice the look on my face and sat down in his chair.

"What is it?" Dad asked and looked panicked. I handed him the bag with a pair of jeans and a flannel shirt inside so he could change.

"Go change. I'll tell you when we leave." I said and walked back out to the truck. I started the truck and dialed the number of the doctor for dad on my cell phone. Dad rushed out and hopped into the truck.

"Isabella has been admitted to a hospital in Arizona. The doctor wouldn't tell me exactly what was wrong because he wanted to talk to you. I already packed you a bag and got instructions. I imagine the hospital has already called mom, but you can called her too. Here's the phone number the doctor gave me" I said and handed dad my phone as I headed for the interstate in Port Angeles. Dad spent about an hour on the phone with the doctor and then another on with Renee. She was already heading for the airport in Florida.

Still abiding by traffic laws the whole trip took 27 hours. With having to stop for food and gas. After five hours of driving I had to let dad drive while I slept in the passenger's seat. Dad had been getting updates from the hospital every two hours on Isabella's condition. When we got to the hospital dad all but ran inside to find her. A nurse led us up to a room in the ICU. She was in a medically induced coma to help her injuries heal. She had a broken right leg, a fractured skull, bruises covering pretty much every inch of her body and a bandage on her left wrist.