Chapter 18

As I stared at myself in the mirror, I wanted to scream.

This couldn't be the whole story. Ella wouldn't put me through all of this just to hold me hostage at some fancy castle. There had to be a bigger picture.

The only problem was that I didn't know how long I would have to fake it before she figured out that I was only going to try and get close to her to figure out her plans.

I sighed.

I wasn't prepared for all of this. I had already had to.go through the deaths of all my family and friends in the Everafter War and now, I'm being harrassed by a lonely princess.

I shook my head to get rid of the memories of the past and forced the fakest smile that I had even mustered before.

Getting up from the chair, I fixed the ruffles in the dress.

I turned out of the white room and continued to walk the way I had come, considering that I had no idea where I was going. When I reached the hall, I took a guess and turned right.

"Miss?"

I heard a small whisper from the other end of the hall.

Turning, I saw a old, petite woman that looked to be in her sixties. Her hair was mostly gray, but you could tell that her hair had once been black or a really dark brown. The woman looked extremely young as she walked down the hall and stopped in front of me.

"You look lost, dear." She said with a laugh.

I smiled and remebered Esteban's rule about contractions,"I cannot seem to find the way of Miss Ella. Would you have any idea on where she would be?"

The lady looked at me in approval. I figured that it was for me sounding so proffesional and old fashioned.

"She would be in her wing. That would be to the left and all the way on the end of the hall."

I thanked her and walked in that direction.

As I made my way into the room, I was struck by how messy it was. There were dresses and overcoats thrown all around and there were many hairpieces littering the floor. In the middle of it all sat Ella. She was sitting at her large makeup table and staring into the mirror.

"Hello darling. Were you informed on all of my requirements?"

I nodded and she smiled,"Perfect. All that I ask is that you either call me Ella or sister. I really do not have a preference."

I nodded once more. She motioned to a chair that sat along side the table and I followed her hand and sat.

She looked at herself for a long period of time while we both sat in silence.

Eventually, she said,"Come look in the mirror with me dear."

I lifted myself and the flowy dress off of the chair and stood beside her so that both of our faces were being shown.

"You look beautiful," she said,"The only horrible thing on the reflection in this mirror is me."

I looked at her in confusion.

"Ever since I was young, I knew that I wasn't as pretty as the other girls," she elaborated.

I nodded, yet still had no idea what she was talking about. She was gorgeous. Her blonde hair always look its absolute best and her features were to die for.

She had nothing to be ashamed of.

She glanced at me,"What do you think?"

I told her exactly what I thought and continued,"Why do you have these insecurities?"

She sighed,"When Charming left me for Snow, I felt that my childhood suspicions were correct. I wasn't getting any better looking and he didn't want an ugly wife."

It all clicked in my head. She was lonely. She thought that it was her fault that Charming left her when the real reason was that Charming was an insensitive prick that needed to finally find a woman that he appreciated as much as they appreciated them.

And I was going to have to use that against her as hard as I could.