~Chapter 1.~

Releasing stress by listening to my favorite bands was the only thing I looked forward to after school. I'm at the point where I don't even care about my grades or anything like that. I was always with Luke, Ashton or Calum on my spare time, but I wasn't in the mood to do anything.

I dropped my school bag onto my floor and locked my door. I kicked off my combat boots and got out my iPod. Laying down on my dark purple bed spread, I shoved my face into the pillow while my cat was next to me sleeping.

A few minutes later my phone buzzed and Luke's name popped up onto my screen. I decided to answer my phone.

"What?" I groaned.

"Well hi to you too." He said.

"I'm sorry, I'm just not having a good day today, I-I just need some alone time okay?" I sighed.

"Yeah sure." I hung up and fell asleep.

..........

I woke up with Luke spraying me with silly string, Calum throwing confetti everywhere on my bed, and Ashton honking two horns in my face screaming happy birthday. I couldn't help but laugh. These guys always made my birthdays so special. It actually made me feel loved for once.

"Thanks." I said as Calum put a party hat on my head.

"You really had to ambush me?" I laughed.

"We ran out of ideas for your birthday so we just winged it."

Today I was turning 17.

"Well thanks, you really didn't have too."

"Hey don't be grumpy on your day, we got you cake!" Ashton said.

"Ooh really, what flavor?" I asked.

"Chocolate." Calum smiled.

The rest of the day was really fun, except for my mom ignoring me because of her boyfriend. That's all she ever does, and it hurts me everyday. She was the only family I had.

I looked back at my mom feeling the pain inside me. My eyes begin to water.

"Hey it's okay, we're here for you." Calum said as his hands pressed against my back.

"I know, but she never said happy birthday to me."

I look down to the floor, then at my scars.

"No, don't." Ashton warned.

"It's hard ash."

Ashton went up to me.

"I know Karli, I've been in the same situation before and I don't want you to do the same." He holds my hand.

I sighed and looked at my mom.

"Okay."