1| Fired

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Fired

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 1: Fired (Poppy's POV)

I was sitting at my desk, fiddling with a random pen from my cup when I noticed that it had multiple colors. 

"Katy," Brady said while walking in. "You're next." 

I sighed, getting impatient while waiting for my turn. 

It's the start of a new month which means it's the start of a new project. That means I get to go to a whole new city and experience yet another vacation. The best part? It's all paid for. Here at Travel Addict Weekly, at the start of every month, we writers have a meeting with our CEO and boss, Ms. Lydia Blossom. She may not be the nicest person, but I can live with that as long as I get to keep my dream job. 

For as long as I can remember, all I've wanted to do was get out of my tiny neighborhood, get away from everything that was in my past, and explore the world. And when I landed an internship here during my last years of college, my dreams came true. In exchange for getting prepaid trips to any city, Ms. Blossom and I agree on, I write a monthly article about how my trip went. 

The famous spots, the secret gems of each city, even the regular day-to-day life that small neighborhoods there experience. My section of the magazine includes writing articles on family vacation destinations and honeymoon destinations. Never mind the fact that I'm as single as can be and travel with a co-worker who is nothing more to me than that, but it's still fun. All employees of Travel Addict Weekly would agree. 

All of us except him, probably. That one grump. 

There's always that one person in every group, whether that be a group of friends or co-workers, who just ruins everybody's mood. Like that one student who reminds the teacher of the homework nobody did. In our office, that's Joshua Everett Nilsen. 

I tried pressing down all the buttons on the pen at the same time and let out another breath before putting the pen away and taking out the journal I keep to plan out all my trips. I read over the possible cities that I had shortlisted for this next trip and then turned on my computer, looking through the cities more than I already had. 

When the glass door at the front of the room opened and then closed again, I looked up, my eyes landing on Katy. She scanned the room, her eyes meeting mine. I raised my brows, thinking my turn was next but she glanced pointedly towards the person on the other side of my computer screen. 

I blinked in confusion. 

"Tell him," she mouthed.

My brows furrowed. "You tell him," I mouthed back. 

She shook her head and quickly went back to her seat. 

I sighed, rolling my eyes. I tilted my head to one side, looking past my computer. "Josh." 

His head popped up, mirroring mine as he looked at me with a sharp, lifted brow. "Poppy," he said. 

"You're next," I told him.