32| World

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

World

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 32: World (Josh's POV)

As we finally arrived at the lake entry point, we got out of the cab and headed out, following the instructor who was waiting. There wouldn't be more than six people on our boat, with Valerie and Jamieson there, only two people more would be let on in our boat. 

Airboats aren't like rollercoasters, but it seemed like that's what Poppy genuinely thought they were like and I didn't want to burst her little bubble of fun. The boat is powered by a huge fan, so sure, it could go really fast, but it's not a fucking rollercoaster. Far from it. 

Once we made it to the outdoor deck, we were given a small briefing. Don't get out of the boat or stick any limbs out, don't lean over the edge, don't make any loud noises or sudden movements when we see animals and don't throw anything in the water. And after that, we got on. 

The two strangers joining us were a father and son, who was no older than six or seven years old. As we all got on and started taking our seats, the instructor with us, called for everyone's attention. "Please keep your purses or any other belongings under the seat. And um, kiddo, what's your name?" he asked, pointing at the little boy. 

"Noah," the boy answered, squinting under the sunlight despite wearing a Spider-Man hat. 

"All right, Noah. Since you're still little, we're going to need to sit between two people, all right? Now, I know you won't be able to see everything, but we're going to stop the boat and I'll make sure you get a good look at all the animals we have here. Sir," the instructor turned to Noah's father. "Would you like to sit with him or can he sit between any of the two couples we have here?" 

"Oh, we're not couples," Valerie laughed and then faced Noah with a grin. "You can sit between us," she offered, reaching to pinch his cheek. 

He frowned, swatting her hand away furiously. Poppy and I glanced at each other as the man pulled Noah's hand away, scolding him gently before mumbling an apology to Valerie. 

"Well um," she spoke up again, "I can sit at the front with Poppy and Josh." 

Poppy groaned softly before pulling me closer, fisting my shirt. "You are not sitting in the middle." 

I looked down at her, amused. "Jealous, are we?" 

"Yes, we are," she gritted back. 

"I'm sure Noah here can be a gentleman and sit with them, can't you Noah?" Jamie asked, leaning down to the kid's level. "I see you like Spider-Man. So does Josh. Don't you, Josh?" 

Everybody turned to me. I blinked before clearing my throat. "Sure. Yeah, Spider-Man is the best." 

Noah watched me doubtfully. "Do you think he's even better than Superman?" 

"Absolutely," I nodded. "I'm a marvel boy." 

He laughed, tugging at his Dad's shirt. "I wike him."