10| Arrived

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Arrived

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 10: Arrived (Josh's POV)

Our flight was for six in the morning, we'd get there by nine-fifteen, roughly, and New Orleans being one hour behind, we'd still have the whole day to unwind and lounge in the hotel. 

When Poppy skipped the day, Lydia gave me all the papers and emailed everything related to the bookings to me, so really, Poppy skipping work gave me the reins to this whole trip because without me, she couldn't go anywhere. She doesn't have any bookings or details for any place or activity with her, she's dependent on me now. 

Anyhow, we agreed that I'd get a cab and pick her up to go to the airport. She also told me that she may or may not be awake on time so I should get there early and wake her up. 'Just in case' which most definitely means she won't be up and ready. And those were my exact thoughts as the taxi drove me to her apartment building. 

"Do I drop you off here?" the driver asked, turning in his seat to look at me. 

"Could you just wait a couple of minutes? I need to pick someone and I'll be back. Keep the meter running," I told him before climbing out, straightening out the fitted, full-sleeve navy blue v-neck that I wore with a pair of gray joggers. I entered the building and unlike last night, the doorman didn't stop me to ask where I was going or who I was looking for. I made it to the elevator and headed to the ninth floor where her apartment, apartment N-340 was. I let out a sigh and couldn't help but roll my eyes. 

She wasn't even close to the best, let alone a good, travel partner so far. She just felt like an inconvenience, but no matter how much of a dick I am, I wouldn't tell her that. Unlike how she has no problem calling me a dick to my face. 

I am, though. 

I rang the doorbell once before glancing at the time on my watch. I waited for a moment and when she didn't answer, I rang the doorbell again. The door swung open and I blinked, staring at her, dumbfounded. 

She stood there wearing her pajamas in nothing but darkness. The living room was completely dark and so was the kitchen. Her hair was down and a little frizzy at the top while she rubbed one eye, a pout on her lips. 

I lifted my brows, tucking my hands into my pockets. "You're not dressed yet?" 

She let out a 'hmph' and spun back around, walking blindly around the dark apartment before entering her room, closing the door behind her. 

I let myself in, flicking all the lights on before shutting the door and walking to her room. Standing at the door, I watched as she adjusted the covers, lying back down. "Poppy," I said through gritted teeth. 

She groaned, "I don't wanna wake up." 

I paused, folding my arms across my chest. "Say that one more time just so I can give Lydia a genuine explanation when I tell her why I went to New Orleans alone." 

She leaned over, turned her lamp on, and stared at me. "You talk too much." 

"Get up and get dressed. Quickly. Where's your suitcase?"