13| Surprised

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Surprised

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 13: Surprised (Poppy's POV)

I rang his doorbell for the third time before knocking on the door yet again. I was one more ring away from just leaving him there and going upstairs for the spa. "Joshua!" I called out, my fist hitting the door again. "Josh, I'm lea—" 

The door swung open and he stood there, annoyance and frustration etched onto his face. 

Oh, like I'm the one causing the inconvenience here. 

"What?" he asked, his words sharp. 

"Are you fucking coming or not?" I huffed. 

He rolled his eyes, grabbing the keycard and pocketing it before stepping out, forcing me to take a step back as he collided with me. "Well, you see," he cleared his throat, closing the door behind him without facing away from me. "I was coming to the door the first time you knocked. But then you decided to bang on it about a dozen more times and nearly break my doorbell. So I thought why not let you finish," he explained, staring down at me, pocketing his hands. 

"I banged on the door about a dozen times and nearly broke your doorbell because you weren't coming to the damn door," I retorted. 

"No, no, no. Think again, Ms. Valentine." 

"Yes, yes, yes. You think again." Before he could say anything, I spun on my heels and started strutting down the hall, glaring at him over my shoulder. I heard him scoff before he started walking behind me, maintaining distance. He caught up to me eventually and then started walking at his usual pace. I took quick, short steps, hurrying to walk with him until we reached and stopped at the elevators. While waiting for it, I glanced at his clothes. 

They weren't extraordinary but I see him wearing full-sleeve button-ups and shirts so often that I sometimes forget what he looks like in a t-shirt. He had on a dark gray v-neck that clung onto him, showing off his arms. 

My eyes lingered on his muscular biceps for just a beat too long. It's no secret that Josh works out and I don't just mean his everyday runs. 

He works out. He probably goes to a gym, if not that, then he definitely works out at his penthouse. I wasn't staring, just observing, the way his shirt hugged him like a second-skin from his shoulders to his chest and hugged him nicely around his biceps. Somehow, all his clothes seem like they were created just for him. With the gray v-neck, he was wearing a pair of simple black joggers. 

Oh, he kind of has a cute butt. 

My eyes trailed back up his arms, taking in his golden tan and the veins going up his arm. When my eyes reached his face, I found him already staring back at me, his brows quipped up, amusement dancing in his eyes. He watched me like I was putting on an entertaining show just for him. "What are you staring at, Ms. Valentine?" he asked. 

"Aren't you a little underdressed for a vacation?" I replied, playing it off. 

"Aren't you a little overdressed for a spa?" he retorted. 

I glanced down at my sunset orange sundress with a small slit on the right side and a v-neck, the dress looking like the fabric crossed at my waist, it cinched my torso in. I felt good in it, it was one of my favorites. Now that I thought about it, it was a little much for going to a spa, but it was our first day on this holiday, even if I was with Joshua, out of all people. "I like this dress," I frowned.