5| Babysit

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Babysit

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 5: Babysit (Poppy's POV)

We got out of the elevator after coming back to our office building and we both were silent until I realized Josh was walking not towards our office, but Lydia's. I rushed forward, taking quick steps, and grabbed his arm, pulling him to a halt. 

He stared at my grip on his arm for a long minute and then finally looked at me, shrugging my grip off. 

I rolled my eyes. "Where do you think you're going?" I asked. 

"To tell Lydia I don't want to work with you." 

"But we just agreed back at the restaurant that we would manage." 

He replied, "So? That doesn't mean I won't keep trying. I want to get rid of you." 

"You're so kind, Josh," I muttered sarcastically. 

"I'm still going to try." 

"All right. Just tell me when you want to meet to plan out the first trip." I shrugged and walked past him, entering our office and going to my desk. As soon as I sat down, Katy, Brady, London, and Liam all rushed over to my desk, startling me. "What? What? What did I do?" I asked, staring at their faces. 

"Did Owen really quit?" London asked. 

"Or was he fired?" Liam asked. 

"You just went for brunch with Josh, didn't you?" Katy asked. 

"Why?" Brady chipped in. 

I relaxed into my chair, staring at my fellow co-workers. "Don't you guys have work to do?" I lifted my brows. 

"Tell us," London and Brady demanded at the same time. 

"Tell you what? Didn't Owen tell you? He really quit. A few weeks ago he got that email from the other magazine, remember? He showed you," I lied, nodding at Liam. 

He nodded softly. 

"They offered him a higher salary. They had one free spot, so he's taking it. That's it," I shrugged, turning my computer on.

"And Josh?" Katy asked. 

I resisted a sigh and looked up at her. "What about him?" 

"You just went out with him." 

"No," I lied. "No, we just left at the same time." 

"And got back at the same time too?" Brady questioned skeptically. 

"We went to The Locket. I went to see Jenny." 

"Oh, his sister?" London asked. 

I nodded. 

"Why?" they asked in sync.