Chapter 30 - Page 9 - The Child

"MIZUKI-SENSEI!"

Mizuki dodges the pillar pulled from Nikolai's coat. 

Kenji throws it back at him, and Atsushi lunches at the man's neck.

"I'M HEADING TO THE SECOND FLOOR!" Mizuki yells as she rushes up the building.

She had a singular day to track down Fyodor thanks to his stupid letter sent to her. Was he her son? He sure acted like it. Mizuki doesn't find it in herself to care anymore. Her feelings for him died the day that he killed the ADA.

The door to the room opens.

Fyodor sits at the tea table, almost as if he was waiting for her.

"Mamachka," Fyodor smiles. "I knew you would come."

"And you still let me in?"

Fyodor smiles.

"I realized that my insight was limited in this life. Was it your writing?"

"Yes," Mizuki smiles. "I had written in the story that your ability to peek into the future would be limited to the past. Well? Shall we play a little Russian roulette?"

Fyodor smiles. "With?"

Mizuki pulls out two cups of tea.

"Poison's laced on one of them." Mizuki hums. "It's also not a poison someone can build up immunity to. I died to in my past life."

"Let's play, Mamachka," Fyodor smiles. "There's tea in the cabinet."

Mizuki heats the water, and sits next to Fyodor.

"Since one of us is going to die, how about we have a little fireside chat?" Mizuki hums, waiting for the tea to boil. "Hm?"

"What would you like to talk about?" Fyodor smiles.

"The page," Mizuki hums. "What did you write on it in the past?"

"The ADA is a terrorist group that kidnapped government officials and killed them," Fyodor hums. "There was going to be world domination next. How about your book, Mamachka?"

"Four years after the world was destroyed, I wandered the soil," Mizuki closes her eyes, leaning back on the seat. "My husband had died, the person I had been troubled with had passed, the children I adored, only one was left. I found the rest of the book in my old suitcase, and I finally took a pen and started writing it. The story was, two years later, a object with the ability to send someone back in time for at least twenty years appeared. I used it after writing the story that would repeat in my life, and one of them was that I would start before anything else."

The teapot rattles.

Mizuki pours the tea out.

"I hadn't turned time back," Mizuki hums. "In fact, I had just entered another altered reality."

"Ah?"

"This reality was created by me." Mizuki smiles. "I am the puppet master, which is why your sight is so limited in this life."

"So we are all puppets?"

"Puppets with free choice," Mizuki smiles. "But puppets who can not outdo the master."

Fyodor smiles. "Shall we drink?"

Mizuki and Fyodor both press the cup to their lips, and take a sip.

"I lied earlier." Mizuki smiles. "I can't die from this poison either."

Fyodor feels blood trickle out of his mouth.

"And I still believed you." Fyodor sighs, leaning back on his seat. "To your own son?"