Chapter 14 - Proverbs

Mizuki stretches her legs. She had fallen asleep on the couch with the boys. The smell of breakfast floats through the air, and the sun cracks in her face. The window is slightly opened; the sounds of bikes and children slipping through the cracks join the smell in the air.

"Mizuki-sensei," Atsushi smiles. "It's time for breakfast."

"Ah," She smiles. "I have a meeting."

"Who's staying guard over Fukuzawa-dono?"

Mizuki pauses. "Yo-chan."

"Where is she going?" Akutagawa grumbles.

Mizuki brews a cup of coffee.

"You're meeting with your child," Dazai hums. "The devil."

Mizuki smiles. "Would that make me a goddess who gave birth to the devil?"

Dazai sighs.

"The devi... oh." Atsushi grimaces. "Them?"

Mizuki smiles cheekily. "I'm a spy, after all."

"Good morning, kaa-san!" Ranpo sings.

"Good morning, kaa-san" Yosano smiles. "Who cooked breakfast?"

"Atsushi-kun did!" Mizuki smiles. "I'm going off to report. Can one of you stay guard?"

"We'll both stay back today," Ranpo yawns. "Can you bring snacks back?"

"Ah," Mizuki hums. "Top left shelf. I bought some last night while you were asleep. I'm heading off now."

Mizuki adjusts her hair, and she ties it up higher. Changing her height, she hops onto her motorbike, driving off to a coffee shop. Mizuki parks her motorbike at the side of the shop, and locks it.

"Mm..." Mizuki smiles gently. "The arabica smells really good here."

"Sharp nose as always, Mimir," A voice speaks up.

Mizuki turns to look at the source.

"Mimir," the male smiles. "Did you miss me?"

Mizuki turns to look at the man. "How could I not? Your father was the only one who got me pregnant, after all."

Fyodor smiles at the woman. 

He's dressed lightly. Though he's in long sleeves, he still looked cold. It was like the face of a child born without nutrition. Though, the same red eyes dug into hers.

"But Mamachka," He smiles. "You killed me in our past life."

Mizuki's eyes sharpen.

"An eye for an eye," Mizuki smiles. "Fate is a dog, well able to bite."

Fyodor hums. "Do you know why you're here, Mamachka?"

Mizuki smiles. The smile of a woman who knew nothing.

"Nope!"

Fyodor lifts her in his arms, spinning her around.

"Run away with me."

Mizuki laughs cheerfully as she sits down to the seat next to him.

"I will feed you even though you are an outcast. I will give you drink even though you are an outcast. You are still my son, even if your god has turned against you" Fyodor recites. "You told me that once. You left two days later. Take up the offer."

Mizuki opens her mouth to respond before getting cut of by Fyodor's coughing. "Sorry, Mimir."

"Did papachka not feed you properly?" Mizuki presses her hand to his cheek, tracing his cheek.

"I developed anemia shortly after you left," He lies with a smile on his face.

A lie.

Mizuki doesn't speak up on it.

"Nurse me back to health?"

"Fill in the blanks for me," Nikolai speaks up. "I'm lost!"

The clown blinks from the seat next to him.

"Meet my mother," Fyodor smiles.

Mizuki doubles over in laughter.

"W-wait," Sigma finally speaks up. "How old is she?"

Mizuki counts her fingers.

"Six... Six, seven thousand years old?" Mizuki counts on her fingers. "I'm old."

Fyodor smiles. "And I'm only 200!"

"Old enough," Mizuki rolls her eyes. "Life gets boring after your hundredth year."

"Doesn't that make you exhausted?"

"Can't you see the bags under my eyes?" Mizuki raises a brow playfully.

Mizuki opens her eyes and smiles.

"What am I here for again?"

Fyodor grins maniacally.

"I'm going to destroy Yokahoma for the book. Do you still have it?"

Mizuki smiles. "It was stolen just recently. I'm terrified for life right now."

The two stare at each other for a moment.

"The fox lies, even to Enlil," Mizuki smiles, calling over a waitress to order a cup of tea. "So? Was there a reason for the visit?"

Sigma smiles. "I'll get your tea for you."

"Oh, it's the information exchanger," Mizuki beams. "How would you like to get adopted?"

"H-Huh?"

"Mamachka has a hobby of collecting orphans."  Fyodor smiles, taking a sip of his tea.

"You make it sound like I do something to them," Mizuki sighs. 

Greed. Activate No Longer Human.

With pleasure.

Mizuki thanks Sigma as he hands her the cup. The male pauses for a moment. 

"Hm?"

"Nothing," Sigma smiles.

"So? Is today just a fireside chat?"

"That saying is outdated, mamachka." Fyodor chuckles. "Just a day for tea."

"Well, then," Mizuki hums. "I'll tell you about the weird man I saw on the street the other day! So he was really weird, and he..."

Fyodor stares at Mizuki, eyes coy.

"Mhm?"

Date: XX - XX - XXXX

Mizuki has tea with Fyodor.