8. arrow

Gotham
September 7, 06:20 EST

eden.

I was sat at the edge of my bed, my fingers fiddling with the hems of my new uniform skirt, when a knock sounded on the door.

"Come in."

"First day," Bruce greeted me. "How're you feeling?"

"Fine, I guess."

He sat down with me, nudging his shoulder into mine. "What's wrong?"

"Nervous," I shrugged.

"That's normal," he assured me. "I felt the same way every time I started at a new school."

"But what if they don't like me?"

"What's not to like?"

"Look at me!" I cried. "Normal kids don't have to walk around with a ruined eye and a cane."

"And normal kids aren't nearly as brilliant as you are," he said thoughtfully. "Only the people who are insecure about their lack of brilliance will give you a hard time, and if they do... you have a cane, so hit 'em with it."

His comment made me giggle.

"How about we make a deal?" Bruce offered. "If you can make it through the whole day, I'll take you for sundaes after."

"With the rainbow sprinkles?"

"With the rainbow sprinkles."

"Deal," I grinned.

Mount Justice
September 7, 06:41 EDT

jade.

Sharkboy had a file opened up in the mission room. All sorts of intel on Chesh. I wondered if at one point they ever had a file like this for me.

"Do you know Jade?" he asked. "Cheshire, I mean."

I shook my head.

He just hummed in response. Do you know something I don't, Sharkboy?

"We'll be sending M'gann and Superboy off for school. It is their first day of, what I believe the surface world calls, 'high school.' Would you care to join me?"

We went up to the garage where Boy Scout was working on his bike while Sphere, the newest addition to the cave, was whirring around. If you're wondering why it's named Sphere, it's because, well, it is a sphere, and Boy Scout just isn't good with names like I am.

"All right, all right," he said, patting it like it was a dog.

"Ready for school?" Megan flew in excitedly with Manhunter and Tornado behind her. "I made our lunches."

"The first day of the scholastic season carriers great cultural resonance," Manhunter said all wisely. "We want to wish you both well."

"Guess it's not a Kryptonian thing," Boy Scout frowned.

"You may wish to change before you depart."

"Ah, I spent hours choosing this outfit," Megan said, turning her outfit pink. "What do you think? Can M'gann M'orzz pass as an Earth girl now?"

"Well..."

"Just kidding!" she said, changing her skin tone. "Meet Megan Morse! What's your new name?"

"My what?"

"I chose the name John Jones for myself and suggested John Smith for Red Tornado."

That's creative.