49. no words

Star City
August 06, 12:53 ECT

jade.

"Did you go last night?"

Arrow put down two glasses of water. It's not like either of us could manage to drink something else. "Mac got that job he's been talking about. Jean's daughter just had her baby."

"That's good." He was giving me one of those smiles he'd give Lian for finishing her breakfast or knowing which crayon is blue. "Did you tell them about what happened with Dick?"

"No."

"Did you tell anyone?"

"I told you."

"I meant anyone who wasn't disgusted by the news."

"I don't think very many of those people exist," I said. "And I can't exactly parade the fact that he caught me wearing a Bat costume."

"I was talking about him coming to the rink."

"I can't parade that either."

"Then, what do you talk about in those meetings?"

I didn't answer.

"Do you even talk during the meetings?"

"I never have anything to say."

"Besides your long term partner coming out of the woodwork after two years? Or you and Miles still fighting since Korea?"

"We're not fighting."

"Well, you're not getting along." He took a sip of his water, the expression on his face saying that he wished it were something else.

"He said he might be staying," I brought up. "Dick, I mean."

"Do you really think he meant it?"

"I don't know," Then, I realized, "I guess it doesn't really matter."

"If he is staying, what will you do about the apartment?"

"Give it back? It's not like I live there anyway."

"No, you've just been paying rent for an empty house for two years."

I couldn't ask Bruce to keep financing it, and I couldn't just give it up. Besides, the apartment was the least of my problems. "Why not worry about the floating girl in our living room instead of me."

Arrow immediately started massaging his temples. "I'm gonna kill—"

Speaking of our mutual devil, Dick's name appeared on my phone. I held my breath.

"Are you gonna answer it?"

I stared as it vibrated against the table. The moment it stopped, it started buzzing again. And again. "Oh, for the love of—Yeah, Dick?" Arrow took the phone and answered. He glanced at me, "She's around... Well, she lives here." He listened to Dick talk for a little longer, before frowning, "Oh, really?" Lazily, he held the phone towards me, "It's for you."

I geared up a lot of courage, but my voice came out weak, "Yeah?"

He didn't really explain, but he didn't have to. Within a jumble of phrases I didn't entirely process, only one stuck out to me, and it was enough to make nothing else matter. "I need you," he said.

HAPPY HARBOR
August 06, 00:17 EDT

Maybe it was pathetic the way I ran out the door without a second thought. Maybe it was embarrassing how little convincing I needed, even though Arrow was entirely sure this was a bad idea. I knew it was a bad idea from the moment the call was answered. But I can't stay away.