50. ferris wheels

Gotham
September 12, 21:39 EDT

batgirl.

"That's Tetch?" Spoiler talks too much during missions, in my opinion. "For a Mad Hatter, he's kinda, well, hatless."

"No hats. It's a condition of his parole."

I pushed Orphan's shoulder, calling for her attention. Wordlessly, we stared at each other. I pointed to my eyes. I'm watching you. Then to hers. You have to watch me.

"Good thing he's not called the Mad Pantser," Spoiler chuckled.

One more time, I pointed to my eyes and then to Orphans. You have to watch me.

She put a hand up to stop me, then placed it above her heart. I am watching you. Then she pointed at her eyes, then down at Tetch. But do you see what I'm seeing?

She was Shiva's daughter. Cunning, ruthless... everything I was created to be. Only this time, Shiva made a creation of her own blood. I can't say how that makes me feel. It wouldn't matter if I said so, anyway.

I nodded quickly. I see it.

The others could stare and talk as long as they wanted, but Orphan and I sprang to action. We followed Tetch down the narrow alley, landing on either side of him. When my foot collided with his face, he fell back into Orphan's sword, before she ran it through his body, cutting him in half.

"Did you know Tetch was really Clayface or just not care?"

Orphan and I glanced back at Spoiler. Both.

"You're gonna regret that kid!"

Long, muddy arms reached out for each of us. One by one, we moved out of the way. The others relied so heavily on trinkets they could shoot and toss out, but for Orphan and I, it was different. We fought up close, swords and knives cutting into clay—flesh—it was all the same.

"Is Clayface an ally of Tetch's?"

"They're not buddies, which means Tetch is probably controlling him."

"But I know where Tetch is," I said.

"NO!" Clayface screamed, disappearing down the drain beneath him.

"We don't know where Tetch is," Robin said, but a screen following a liquid tracker went from my hand to his. "Nice. Very Batgirl-esque."

The comment slightly disgusted me.

Central City
September 29, 10:00 CDT

I had Lian in my arms as Arrow knocked on the door.

"I cancelled on training to be here." Arrow was too intimidated to walk into this alone.

"And I'm sure I'll be getting a thank you card from Miles any day now."

"Mama!" Lian grinned up at me, tugging a fistful of my hair. "Mama!"

"It's the hair," Arrow suggested. "Both black..." but our clear discomfort was cut off by Iris opening the door.

"I'm so glad you guys could make it," she smiled, before a crash sounded from the living room. She looked back, "Oh, Dawn, sweetie, no! You guys can just let yourselves in."