Chapter Six. Chicago

"Funke!" I heard mum's voice call from the living room meaning the front door opening and closing was her

"Kitchen!" I called back unable to leave what I was turning on the fire.

"Am I in the wrong house?" Mum laughed as she stepped into the kitchen.

I playfully rolled my eyes, "since when is me making Amala a strange thing?" I laughed.

"It's just rare. How have you been? Sorry I haven't come over since I got back, I've been really busy." She apologized.

Too busy with Jules? I wanted to snap but I held my tongue and forced a smile.

"Its fine mum, I know you're always busy." I said with an eye roll.

"Ahn ahn, Funke," she placed her hand on my back. "You know it's not like that." She tried to calm me down when she noticed my tone.

"I'm not angry mum," I chuckled.

"But you're disappointed?" She pulled her lips to a thin line.

"I'm not disappointed in you mum. Just not happy that I haven't seen you since you've been around which has been a while now." I told her truthfully.

"Omo mi, ma binu. Sho gbo?" She begged and I shrugged. (My child, please don't be angry.)

"Its fine mum, I understand that you are really busy. I finally turned off the gas and wiped my hands then turned to look at her. "I understand." I smiled for real this time, not actually angry with her.

"I love you," she opened her arms for a hug and I stepped into them.

I actually really missed her. "Love you too mum," I said as I hugged her tighter.

"Where's Adrian?" We both pulled away from the hug.

"Out," I shrugged. "He left since afternoon and I haven't seen or heard from him since."

"That means he didn't call you," mum reasoned. "When we met earlier today I told him to tell you that I was coming over, I guess it slipped his mind."

"Where's your bag?" I began serving the food. Wrapping Adrian's separately. Adrian's lucky I decided to make extra Amala, if not he'd have had to eat rice instead.

"I didn't bring one," Mum sat as I served her food.

"Why?" I began serving mine. "Don't tell me you're not sleeping over." I stopped what I was doing to look at her well as I awaited an answer.

"I'm sleeping over, my bags are coming." She washed her hand in the bowl of water I gave her. "I forgot it in a friend's car earlier so she's sending someone to bring it here."

"I for fear oo" I sighed in relief. (You nearly scared me)

I served my food and washed my hands before sitting down to eat. "Wait, you've been in Chicago since Yesterday, where did you sleep last night?" My brain suddenly pieced everything together and I realized that something didn't quite add up.