Chapter Twenty Five. Chicago

I jolt awake, my body is covered in sweat and my lungs are struggling to get air into them. Adrian is still asleep but he stirs as a result of my sudden movement so I wait till he is more relaxed and I am breathing properly before getting out of the bed and heading downstairs to get a glass of water.

I am happy that I didn't wake up with a panic attack if not I'd have a moody Adrian all day long. We had sex for the very first time hours ago and it was nothing compared to that night many years ago, the night Seyi took a piece of my soul and burnt it. This time was different and I am happy with it, I just wasn't expecting that flashback. Luckily it wasn't of the moment itself, if not Adrian would have woken up and would be trying to comfort me by now whilst hating himself for ever letting it happen. I intend to keep the flashback a secret, otherwise he'll think I am slipping back to my old ways.

I remember the night I had lost my virginity and how I had coped, that locket was what helped me get through until Seyi found it about a year after and threw it out.

I successfully got my glass of water before heading back upstairs and cuddling into Adrian's touch. I know I am safe so I have nothing to worry about. Seyi is behind bars and he shouldn't be out for another twelve years and even when he gets out, he can't harm me. I am safe.

"Are you telling me that the Federal Capital of Nigeria isn't Lagos?" Brittany asks wide-eyed

I swallow the food in my mouth before laughing, finding it hilarious that she thought Lagos was the capital. "Yes."

"If it's not Lagos then where is it?" She takes a bite of her burger again.

"Abuja." I answer, taking a sip of my water first before putting a spoon of rice in my mouth.

Her eyebrows are furrowed. "Never heard that before though but how is Lagos more popular?" She throws etiquette out of the window when she talks with her mouth full.

I take another sip of water. "Lagos was the capital for so long before it was moved to Abuja and one of easiest way to get into Nigeria is through Lagos because it has water ways."

She nods, "That makes sense but Lagos is bigger right?"

"Yes it is. Nigerians see it like how you guys see New York, big, populated and filled with celebrities, a lot of people looking to start their lives start off from Lagos." I explain further.

"Fake lives too? And pretenders?"

"Yes," I continue with my food.

"I'm so glad I asked before I made a fool out of myself in front of strangers," she laughs at herself and I join her.

We continue with our lunch while making small talks. When we're done eating we both still have about twenty minutes left so we order more soda while talking.

The bell of the small restaurant goes off and my eyes dart to the door to see who it is. My eyes widen when I see Jules. I'm still deciding on waving him over when he sees me and waves toward us. I wave back with a smile and watch as he makes his order from the counter.